SOCIETIES INTO SCHOOLS
OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE
In collaboration with the University of Leeds Societies into Schools programme we are excited to announce that we are now looking for any LUU sport clubs or societies to take part in this exciting volunteering opportunity.
We are looking for a maximum of 5 student clubs or societies to take their love of sport and physical activity on the road and deliver sessions at local primary or secondary schools.
Your club could be wanting to showcase its talent and inspire the next generation of students of students, or maybe wants to give back to the local community?
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- To commit to a minimum of 1 and maximum of 3 school visits (as a club) during semester 2 or 3
- Have a minimum of 3 and maximum of 5 students for delivery of each session (these can be different students per visit)
- Contribute to the development and sustainability of schools sport in Leeds
- Provide regular feedback from your coaching sessions
- Maintain open lines of communication with the Leeds Sport team
- Provide a fun, friendly & welcoming atmosphere at your sessions
- Attend all training required for your project in line with this project
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- You do not need prior coaching experience or qualifications as full training will be provided
- A passion for developing sport and getting young people active
- Excellent people skills and a commitment to running sessions which are inclusive of all abilities
- Be willing and able to engage with the programme in its entirety including induction, ongoing training and mentoring meetings
- Enthusiasm & energy
- The ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Good communication skills
- Reliable & Trustworthy
- Flexible & Adaptable
Communication, Team Working, Leadership, Flexibility, Planning & Organisation, Time management.
TRAINING & SUPPORT
All clubs and societies will be provided with the following training
- Societies into Schools Induction training
- Sport Specific training – delivered by the Leeds Sport Volunteering team
- Ongoing mentoring and support from the Leeds Sport Volunteering team
REWARD & RECOGNITION
The time and skills that you provide are invaluable and we make every effort to ensure you feel appreciated in your role. Leeds Sport is invested in retaining volunteers and ensuring their volunteering is a supportive, high quality experience working to the common aims of growing community sports participation and developing students skills. All volunteers that are part of this programme will be eligible for the following:
- A uniform in the form of a Leeds Sport leadership t-shirt to wear during their sessions
- Access to all training required for the role
- Volunteer of the month awards
- References from our staff team
All members of the club or society involved in this programme must attend all relevant training
Clubs and societies must be able to commit to a minimum of 1 and maximum of 3 visits to the school they are matched with during semester 2 or 3..
Clubs and societies will be required to produce a session plan for each of their visits
Expressions of Interest for this programme are now OPEN and can be completed here
Applications will CLOSE on 22nd October 2023.
Information Session – Date TBC
SIS Induction Training – Date TBC
Sport Specific training – Friday 12th January 2024
If you have any questions about this programme then please email the Sport Volunteering Officer L.Havercroft@leeds.ac.uk
If you wish to apply for any of our Leeds Sport volunteering positions please complete the form below and a member of our team will be in contact with you.