OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE
Our Gryphons into Schools programme aims to do good stuff and bring students and young people in Leeds together through sport. Delivering your favourite sport in local primary & secondary schools is a great way to inspire others and give something back. You will support experienced coaches from the Leeds Rhinos Foundation in delivering curriculum time PE to local school children. Spending time in schools is fun and rewarding and you will be helping children in Leeds to live more active lives. This is an ideal role for students looking to gain experience in an educational environment whilst also being supported to develop new skills. Change lives (not just theirs, yours too!).
- Football & Netball have been key sports on our Gryphons into Schools programme in recent years but we welcome applications from students of all academic and sporting backgrounds.
- You will deliver a variety of sports during the course of your deployment depending on the curriculum of your placement school.
- If you have a particular interest in a specific sport, the coaches and schools will do their best to accommodate this.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Commit to support the delivery of sport in a minimum of one school for the duration of the academic year. Training will take place across both semester 1 and semester 2 with deployments starting in early November 2019. Volunteers will be expected to commit to weekly sessions at their school during term time for the duration of the academic year
- Contribute to the development and sustainability of schools sport in Leeds
- Represent the University, Leeds Sport, Students into Schools & Leeds Rhinos Foundation in a positive manner
- Record participation details from all sessions delivered on our online system
- Provide regular feedback and good news stories from your sessions
- Maintain open lines of communication with the Leeds Sport team
- Provide a fun, friendly & welcoming atmosphere at your sessions
- Attend all training required for your project in line with the Leeds Sport minimum deployment guidelines
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- You do not need prior coaching experience or qualifications as full training will be provided however prior experience of coaching or supporting activity in a school or community setting is desirable
- A passion for developing sport and getting young people active
- Excellent people skills and a commitment to running sessions which are inclusive of all abilities
- Be willing and able to engage with the programme in its entirety including induction, ongoing training and mentoring meetings
- Weekly commitment to volunteering for the duration of the academic year (term time only)
- Enthusiasm & energy
- The ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Good communication skills
- Reliable & Trustworthy
SKILLS DEVELOPED (LINKED TO LEEDS FOR LIFE)
Communication, Team Working, Leadership, Flexibility, Planning & Organisation, Independent working, Time management.
TRAINING & SUPPORT
We want you to have the very best volunteering experience with us; therefore we take care to ensure you get the training and support you need to carry out your role including:
- An initial induction to the organisation and the role
- Safeguarding training
- First Aid training
- Level 2 Principles of Coaching Sport & Physical Activity
- Regular mentoring, observations and feedback with the Leeds Sport team
Any further training and support needs will be discussed with the Sports Volunteering Officer, who will be your main point of contact.
REWARD & RECOGNITION
The time and skills that you provide are invaluable and we make every effort to ensure you feel appreciated in your role. Leeds Sport is invested in retaining volunteers and ensuring their volunteering is a supportive, high quality experience working to the common aims of growing community sports participation and developing students skills. All Gryphons into Schools volunteers will be eligible for the following:
- A uniform in the form of a Leeds Sport Leadership t-shirt to wear during their sessions
- Access to all training & equipment required to complete the role
- Volunteer of the month awards
- Higher Education Achievement Record (HEAR)
Ideally you will be able to commit to all of the training (see dates below) and 2-3 hours per week during term time, consisting of a minimum of 1 hour’s delivery, travel to and from schools sessions and administration time. If you are likely to find this commitment difficult, please speak to the Sports Volunteering Officer who will be able to discuss this in more detail.
You will be required to attend any training relevant to your role in line with the Leeds Sport minimum deployment guidelines for volunteers.
- Gryphons into Schools volunteers are responsible to Suzzi Garnett, Sports Volunteering Officer in the Leeds Sport Team
- This role will require a DBS check
- We currently have 20 Gryphons into Schools roles available for 2019-20 in a variety of sports including football and netball.
- Online applications for the 2019-20 academic year open on Monday 23rd September and will close on Friday 18th October. Late applications will be considered at the discretion of the Leeds Sport team and dependent on role availability.
- Following your online application you may be invited for an informal individual or group meeting with the Sports Volunteering Officer to discuss the role
- Training for the Gryphons into Schools programme will take place week on the following dates:
– Induction (22/10 4.30-6pm)
– Deployment: November onwards
– First Aid (12/11 6-9pm)
– Safeguarding (19/11 6-9pm)
– Level 2 Principles of Coaching Sport & Physical Activity course (Monday 6th-Thursday 9th January 2020 – 9-5pm)
This programme is supported by kind donations from alumni and supporters via the Footsteps Fund.
If you wish to apply for any of our Leeds Sport volunteering positions please complete the form below and a member of our team will be in contact with you.