OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE
Our Gryphons into Schools programme aims to do good stuff and bring students and young people in Leeds together through sport. Delivering sport in local primary & secondary schools is a great way for sporty students to inspire others and give something back. You could be delivering a lunchtime or afterschool sports session or supporting a teacher or qualified coach during curriculum time PE. Some placements are sport specific but most placements involve delivering a variety of sports and skills. This is an ideal role for students considering a career in teaching to gain some experience in an educational environment. Spending time in schools is fun and rewarding and you will be helping children in Leeds to live more active lives as well as broadening your own horizons and developing new skills. Change lives (not just theirs, yours too!).
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Commit to support the delivery of a minimum of one schools project in a selected location. Training will take place in 1 intensive week before Fresher’s and you will be deployed as soon as your training is complete. Volunteers will be expected to commit to weekly sessions at their school during term time for the duration of the academic year
- Contribute to the development and sustainability of schools sport in Leeds
- Represent the University, Leeds Sport, Students into Schools & Leeds Rhinos Foundation in a positive manner
- Record participation details from all sessions delivered on our online system
- Provide regular feedback from your coaching sessions
- Maintain open lines of communication with the Leeds Sport team
- Provide a fun, friendly & welcoming atmosphere at your sessions
- Attend all training required for your project in line with the Leeds Sport minimum deployment guidelines for schools delivery
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- You do not need prior coaching experience or qualifications as full training will be provided however prior experience of coaching or supporting activity in a school or community setting is desirable
- A passion for developing sport and getting young people active
- Excellent people skills and a commitment to running sessions which are inclusive of all abilities
- Be willing and able to engage with the programme in its entirety including induction, ongoing training and mentoring meetings
- Weekly commitment to volunteering for the duration of the academic year (term time only)
- Enthusiasm & energy
- The ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Good communication skills
- Reliable & Trustworthy
- Flexible & Adaptable
SKILLS DEVELOPED (LINKED TO LEEDS FOR LIFE)
Communication, Team Working, Leadership, Flexibility, Planning & Organisation, Independent working, Time management.
TRAINING & SUPPORT
We want you to have the very best volunteering experience with us; therefore we take care to ensure you get the training and support you need to carry out your role including:
- An initial induction to the organisation and the role
- Safeguarding training
- First Aid training
- Level 2 Principles of Coaching Sport & Physical Activity course
- Regular mentoring, observations and feedback with the Leeds Sport team
Any further training and support needs will be discussed with the Sports Volunteering Officer, who will be your main point of contact.
REWARD & RECOGNITION
The time and skills that you provide are invaluable and we make every effort to ensure you feel appreciated in your role. Leeds Sport is invested in retaining volunteers and ensuring their volunteering is a supportive, high quality experience working to the common aims of growing community sports participation and developing students skills. All Gryphons into Schools volunteers will be eligible for the following:
- A uniform in the form of a Leeds Sport leadership t-shirt to wear during their sessions
- Access to all training & equipment required to complete the role
- Volunteer of the month awards
- Higher Education Achievement Record (HEAR)
Ideally you will be able to commit to the training week in September (see dates below) and 2-3 hours per week during term time, consisting of a minimum of 1 hour’s delivery, travel to and from schools sessions and administration time. If you are likely to find this commitment difficult, please speak to the Sports Volunteering Officer who will be able to discuss this in more detail.
You will be required to attend any training relevant to your role in line with the Leeds Sport minimum deployment guidelines for volunteers.
- Gryphons into Schools volunteers are responsible to Suzzi Garnett, Sports Volunteering Officer in the Leeds Sport Team and the named contact at their placement school
- Students will either be placed with the Leeds Rhinos Foundation or Students into Schools. Those placed with the Leeds Rhinos Foundation will support qualified coaches with the delivery of curriculum time PE. Those placed with Students into Schools will most likely support extra curricular activities and may support a staff member or even lead their own session
- This role will require a DBS check
- We currently have 16 Gryphons into Schools roles available for 2020-21
- Online applications for the 2020-21 academic year are currently CLOSED and will reopen as soon as we have the authority to restart our schools programmes.
- Following your online application you may be invited for an informal meeting or group briefing with the Sports Volunteering Officer to discuss the role
- Training for the Gryphons into Schools programme will take place parallel to placements in semester 1.
This programme is supported by kind donations from alumni and supporters via the Footsteps Fund.
If you wish to apply for any of our Leeds Sport volunteering positions please complete the form below and a member of our team will be in contact with you.