Famous alumnus Johnny Mowlem, has been inducted into the University’s Sporting Hall of Fame.
Johnny, who graduated from Geography and Spanish in 1988, is one of Great Britain’s most successful racing drivers; having been ranked amongst the top sports car and GT drivers in the world.
His career began in 1989, and a mere six years later he was crowned British Champion.
During his career Johnny has competed in every class of sports car world championship racing with victories and podiums at virtually all of the worlds major endurance events, including the 24 Hours of Daytona and the world famous Le Mans 24 Hours.
“When thinking about my career, what brings a smile to my face most, is the 24 hours of Daytona race. I was 16 times a competitor and 10 times on the podium, to win that race, was a real highlight!”
Johnny was inducted into the hall of fame at the sports scholarship awards evening. An event which celebrates the successful students who have been awarded a sports scholarship for the year head.
Prior to the evening awards Johnny spent time with the sports scholars talking about his career and success. Inspiring our students who are at the beginning of their own sporting careers.
In the future Johnny will continue to inspire our students by supporting the sports scholarship programme. Helping students in their aim to gain sporting success whilst still studying for a world class degree.
Above: Suzanne Glavin, Head of Sport & Physical Activity, Johnny Mowlem and Dennis Hopper, Director of Facilities Management.
You can take a look at the full Sporting Hall of Fame by visiting The Edge. It’s located alongside the sport scholarship board and you can read more about Johnny and all our other Hall of Fame recipients, who include:
- Rebecca Gallantree, Sports Science 2005, Great Britain diver.
- Carol Isherwood OBE, History 1982 and PGCE Education 1984, Great Britain rugby union player and founder of the Rugby Football Union for Women.
- Andrew Shovlin, Mechanical Engineering 1995 and PhD in Mechanical Engineering 1999, Formula 1 Chief race engineer.
- Ray French MBE, General Studies 1961, England rugby union and rugby league player, rugby league commentator.
- Giles Long MBE, Geology 1997, three time Paralympic swimming champion
- Simon Mason, Economics 1994, Great Britain hockey player and vice president of England Hockey
Find out more about Johnny by following him on twitter; @johnnymowlem