Reopening our facilities
Re-start your fitness journey! We are so excited to welcome you back. Our facilities are open and available to book. We can’t wait to see you all!
- The Edge is open and we have returned to a full timetable. Please check our opening hours.
- Information about what to expect on your visit is available on our FAQs below.
- Gym, swimming, climbing, indoor exercise classes and racquet sports are available to book for members. Please see below for further information on how to book your slot.
- Information regarding the return to swimming lessons can be found in our FAQs below.
- Climbing has now returned – please see FAQs below for further details.
- Changing rooms, lockers and showers are now available for use. However, we still encourage members to arrive “gym ready” as capacities in these areas are limited.
- Sports halls are now available to book for badminton.
- Car parking outside The Edge is free within opening hours for all members who have registered for unlimited parking. Members who are not registered can use the code (available from reception) and will be able to park for a maximum of 3 hours during opening hours. If you would like to register for unlimited parking please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Edge users (current swimming lesson customers) need to request the code from reception in order to park for free for up to 3 hours.
Planning your visit to The Edge
You will need to book your activity before visiting The Edge. Information on how to book is available on our updates page, and we have also produced a guide on how to register and make your booking. Before your visit please check out our FAQs below for information on what you will need to do and what to expect on your visit. On arrival at the facility, a member of staff will check your booking.
Sports Park Weetwood and Bodington Playing Fields
Sports Park Weetwood and Bodington Playing Fields have now reopened. We are working to guidance from the University, the government and the national governing bodies for the return of each respective sport.
- If you would like to enquire about a new booking please get in touch by visiting our contact us page.
Bodington Cycle Circuit reopened on 29 March. To book please make a booking enquiry via our website. Alternatively, you can call reception on 0113 3431222 or 0113 3430631.
Planning your visit to Sports Park Weetwood and Bodington Playing Fields
You will need to make a booking prior to visiting Sports Park Weetwood or Bodington. Booking can be done in the normal way, you can find our details on the contact us page. We will then be able to provide more information about your specific booking.
We’ve added even more to our membership offer!
Keeping you safe
We’ve made some changes to keep you safe whilst visiting our facilities
“Staying active and taking care of yourself and your wellbeing is more important than ever right now.
We are thrilled to have you back at our facilities and have put a number of safety procedures in place to keep everyone safe. We have a diverse sport & physical activity programme for you to enjoy, whether you want to play outdoor sport, train in the 25m pool or join a class, we have something for everyone.”
Suzanne Glavin, Head of Sport & Physical Activity
Read our FAQs to find out more
For more information about what we’re doing to keep you safe, and what you need to do before and during your visit, please read our reopening FAQs below.
General Facility Questions
What are you doing to keep customers safe?
The health and safety of our customers and staff is our number one priority.
What we are doing to keep you safe and active:
Facility and activity bookings
To help us safely manage capacities and following government guidelines, we will require booking for all activities, including the fitness suite and the swimming pool at The Edge.
All activity at Sports Park Weetwood and Bodington will require bookings as normal, this will also apply to the pay and pedal sessions on the cycle circuit. Due to this we will be asking customers not to visit our facilities without a booking to help keep everyone safe. Bookings for Sport Park Weetwood and Bodington can be made via the usual channels on our contact us page.
One-way systems and social distancing
To help keep customers a safe distance from others there will be one-way systems in place, and signage to indicate direction of travel. We will also be reducing occupancy levels in line with guidance within each area of our facility.
New cleaning protocols
We have enhanced cleaning protocols which follow the latest advice from the relevant authorities. This includes increased frequencies, scheduled cleans after each activity where required and the purchasing of new equipment to support the new cleaning protocols. Additionally, designated cleaning stations will allow you to clean down equipment after use where required, ready for the next user.
Hand sanitising stations and equipment cleaning stations for customers will be available to use throughout the facilities.
Changing rooms and toilets
We will follow the latest guidance on the opening of our changing rooms when we reopen each facility. On reopening of all facilities toilets and sinks will be available for use, however, in the first phase of opening there will be no changing facilities, lockers or access to showers. However, if using the swimming pool at The Edge you will be allocated a cubicle and locker prior to entering the pool, which will then be cleaned after each use.
On receptions, we will have protective screens, and staff will be issued with protective equipment where required. We are following the University guidance on face coverings, which must be worn in all indoor communal areas on campus, for example, main public corridors and communal toilets. Face coverings can be removed once in the area for your pre-booked activity, for example, once you have entered the fitness suite, exercise studio or when leaving your cubicle ahead of entering the swimming pool area.
On your visit our colleagues will be on hand throughout the building if you have any questions or need any support. We will also share further guidance and information for your visit prior to us reopening and when you make your booking.
What will I need to do to help keep the facilities safe?
There will also be things you will need do to do help keep everyone safe, including:
- Follow guidance from local authorities and the government, this includes the latest guidance on mixing between households.
- Pre-book your visit in advance
- Stay at home if you have any symptoms or you are self-isolating
- Be kind and patient to each other and to our staff
- Keep a safe distance when in our facilities and avoid congregating with others in the facilities and stay within your household or bubble.
- Follow instructions and one-way systems
- Wash your hands regularly and use the sanitising stations
- Wipe down equipment before and after use by using the self-cleaning stations
- After your session is over leave the facility as soon as you are able to
- Arrive ready in your kit where possible
How can I make a booking to use one of your facilities?
To help us safely manage capacities and following government guidelines, we will require booking for all activities, including the fitness suite and the swimming pool at The Edge. Due to this, we will be asking members not to visit our facilities without a booking to help keep everyone safe.
Booking at The Edge
You can book your session here. Information on how to book for members is available on our updates page, and we have also produced a guide on how to register and make your booking. Before your visit please check out our FAQs below for information on what you will need to do and what to expect on your visit. On arrival at the facility, a member of staff will check your booking.
Bookings at Sports Park Weetwood and Bodington
All activity at Sports Park Weetwood and Bodington will require bookings as normal, this now also applies to the pay and pedal sessions on the cycle circuit. Bookings for Sport Park Weetwood and Bodington can be made via the usual channels on our contact us page.
Your visit to The Edge
Can I just turn up to The Edge to attend a session, have a tour or activate my membership?
No, to help us safely manage capacities and following government guidelines, we will require booking for all activities and visits to The Edge, including the fitness suite and the swimming pool.
If you would like to enquire about booking a tour please contact our Membership Team.
If you have purchased a monthly membership you will be required to book an activation appointment in order to complete your membership. Please don’t visit the facilities without a booking to help us manage capacities within the building. On your visit please bring cash or card to pay your pro-rata payment, and your bank account details to set up your Direct Debit payments.
What will happen to my membership when The Edge reopens?
For the latest information about your membership on reopening, please visit our Coronavirus update page. As this is a fast-moving situation and we continue to follow the relevant guidance, we will continue to update you about memberships on the Coronavirus page.
I have just bought a membership, how do I activate it?
Once reopen, please follow the guidance below
Annual memberships will be activated automatically each day, if you are trying to book a session and require your annual membership activating just call 0113 343 5095 or email email@example.com.
Monthly members will need to book an activation appointment in order to complete your membership. Please don’t visit the facilities without a booking to help us manage capacities within the building. On your visit please bring cash or card to pay your pro-rata payment, and your bank account details to set up your Direct Debit payments.
Swimming Pool – What do I need to know before visiting?
Before using the pool you will need to make a booking prior to your arrival. Our latest swimming pool timetable will be available here. This is subject to change but in the initial re-opening phase, there will be lane swimming only. When you book it will be for a 60-minute session, you will need to arrive on time and leave at the end of your 60-minute session. This is so we can manage capacities in the changing rooms at the start and end of a session. You must be a competent and confident swimmer to use the swimming pool.
Please note that if you are wanting to come and swim with children, they must be a competent swimmer in order to use the pool at the current time.
What you need to bring:
Please bring your booking confirmation. Your usual swimwear is fine, however, please be aware that no communal swimming aids will be available. Additionally, costume driers and vanity units will be cordoned off so please be prepared for this. No communal equipment such as hairdryers will be available for use during your visit.
We are following the University guidance on face coverings, which must be worn in all indoor communal areas on campus, for example, main public corridors and communal toilets. Face coverings can be removed once in the area for your pre-booked activity, for example, when leaving your cubicle ahead of entering the swimming pool area.
On your visit:
You will need to arrive and leave at the allocated time to allow us to clean the facilities before the next bookings arrive. Capacity has been reduced to ensure social distancing can be maintained in the pool and the changing room village. On arrival you will be allocated a cubicle and locker. Lockers will be allocated on arrival, meaning you will not be allocated a locker band that has been used by another person. Staff will disinfect all locker bands between sessions.
When you enter the changing village you will be required to follow the one-way system that has been put in place. A cubicle will be assigned to you which you must use to help us space out customers as much as possible. Everyone will have allocated arrival times which will ensure we are able to manage the flow of traffic safely & effectively.At the end of your session please wipe down the surfaces in your cubicle and leave the facility as soon as you are able to so that we can prepare for the next set of customers.
Sauna & Steam room: Unfortunately, due to ongoing Covid-19 restrictions, the sauna and steam room will remain unavailable until further notice.
How we clean the swimming pool area after your visit:
The swimming pool area, and its touch points are cleaned using chlorine between each session to sanitise the area. The changing area and all touch points will be cleaned between each session. The pool area and the changing rooms are also fully deep cleaned each night.
Fitness Suite – What do I need to know before visiting?
Before using the fitness suite you will need to make a booking prior to your arrival, these will be available in 90 minute sessions.
What you need to bring:
Please bring your booking confirmation and arrive in your kit ready to workout. In the initial reopening phase you won’t be able to use changing rooms, lockers or showers before or after your use of the fitness suite. Please bring a small bag only with you, such as a drawstring gym bag as we cannot store larger bags.
Please do not bring a towel to the gym to help reduce contact with the equipment, cleaning stations will be provided to help clean the equipment following each use. To help reduce contact with the water fountains, please bring a pre-filled water bottle.
We are following the University guidance on face coverings, which must be worn in all indoor communal areas on campus, for example, main public corridors and communal toilets. Face coverings can be removed once in the area for your pre-booked activity, for example, once you have entered the fitness suite.
On your visit:
You will need to arrive and leave at the allocated time to allow us to clean the facilities before the next bookings arrive. When you arrive in the facility please be ready in your kit, changing rooms and showers will not be available in the first phase of reopening.
Capacity has been reduced and some machines will be out of use to ensure social distancing can be maintained. There will be a new overflow space in sports hall 2 available to book to accommodate people due to the reduced capacity. There will also be zones on the matted areas to ensure social distancing remains, and a one-way system around the facility. Certain items of equipment will be taken out of use such as mats and foam rollers
We will also provide cleaning stations around the fitness suite, to allow you to clean the equipment after your use so that is ready for the next customer. Water fountains will be available to fill water bottles, but please pre-fill water bottles where possible to reduce contact with water fountains. Please do not drink directly from the water fountains.
How we clean the Fitness Suite:
We have enhanced cleaning protocols in place which follow the latest advice from the relevant authorities. Customers will be advised to sanitize equipment before and after use but there will be a formal clean after each 90 minute session using a fogging machine.
Exercise Class – What do I need to know before visiting?
We will be running a full timetable of indoor classes in addition to a handful of outdoor and online classes so you can continue to keep fit at home or outdoors.
For indoor classes, social distancing shall remain in place with each member exercising in a 3m x 3m allocated space.
Please bring your own towel and water bottles, drinking from the water fountains will not be permitted.
Please wipe down any mats or equipment used during the class with the cleaning supplies provided.
Please follow the one-way systems which shall be clearly signposted.
Squash – What do I need to know before visiting?
As of May 17, Squash will be available for members only.
What you need to bring:
Please bring your booking confirmation and arrive in your kit ready to workout.
We are following the University guidance on face coverings, which must be worn in all indoor communal areas on campus, for example, main public corridors and communal toilets. Face coverings can be removed once in the area for your pre-booked activity, for example, once you have entered the squash court .
In the initial reopening phase, you won’t be able to use changing rooms, lockers or showers before or after your use of the fitness suite. To help reduce contact with the water fountains, please bring a pre-filled water bottle.
Please bring your own equipment for squash as we currently are not able to sell or hire out this equipment to customers.
A cleaning station is available outside the court for customers to spot clean the wall and floor if you come into contact with these surfaces.
On your visit:
Only one squash court will be available for use to allow us to maintain social distancing in our facilities. We have reduced the capacity for these activities and cleaning will be completed following each booking. The one-way system for the building allows for social distancing when accessing the courts.
Climbing Wall – What do I need to know before visiting?
Climbing returned on 12 April to all existing signed-off climbers including members and pay-as-you-go customers.
You can book your session of up to 3 hours by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or phoning 01133 435 095.
Sessions can have a maximum of 6 attendees and are broken up into 3 slots. Each slot will allow 1 or 2 climbers on the wall at a time.
Unfortunately you will not initially be able to hire out equipment until restrictions are loosened, therefore, please bring your own equipment.
We will also be providing hand-sanitiser for all climbers.
Personal Training – What do I need to know before visiting?
Swimming Lessons – When do they restart and what do I need to do?
Swim-Fit, Adult Swimming Lessons and 121 Lessons will be phased back in from 17 May onward. Priority will be given to those that were already booked on from February 2020. The Swimming Team will be in touch over the next few weeks to confirm start dates/times.
Should you have any questions, please send them through to email@example.com.
Please see information below regarding how we plan to run lessons, what you will need to do before, during and after lessons and what safety measures we have in place:
How to book your lessons
- Once booked in, all swimming lesson customers will be sent an email confirming details such as new access routes, health & safety procedures and changing room arrangements.
- If you receive a missed call, the staff will follow this up with a voicemail or email. We will then make further attempts to call you later on in the week.
- Due to the new guidance and social distancing rules, we unfortunately cannot guarantee a specific lesson time or a particular swimming teacher.
- All payments for credits need to be done in advance of lessons, remotely over the phone. When we get in touch with you individually we will let you know how to do this.
Arriving at your first lesson back
- You must not attend your swimming lesson if you have tested positive, are experiencing symptoms of COVID or have been told to self-isolate. Please inform firstname.lastname@example.org in any of these circumstances.
- It is advisable that all swimmers should have a quick shower and use the toilets before leaving home and arriving at your lesson. This is to minimise the need to use these facilities once you arrive on site.
- You will be given a specific arrival time for your lesson. It is vital that all customers only arrive at their allocated time to allow for social distancing
- All swimmers should arrive ‘Swim Ready’. There will be no changing facilities available BEFORE the lesson. Swimmers should arrive via the main Edge entrance, using the ramp. You will be directed through to the village, where you will queue at a 2 metre distances, until your swimming teacher calls your class/name forward. Swimmers need to be ready to swim by the time their teacher comes to collect them.
- Parents/guardians that are not required to enter the water, must then leave via the one way system, exiting through the side door back into the car park. There is no spectating allowed in the building during the lesson. Parents must stay outside or in their cars during the 30 minute lesson time.
- All customers must stick to social distancing rules at all times, using hand sanitiser on arrival.
During the lesson
- Swimming teachers will continue to take registers when swimmers arrive on poolside. This is how we will log attendance, and maintain track and trace information.
- All swimmers must listen to the instructions from their teacher, social distancing themselves as much as possible.
- It is advised that swimmers bring their own equipment/aids to use during the lesson. However failing that, teachers will issue each swimmer with equipment to use, which should not be shared with other class members.
After the lesson
- Parents/Guardians should enter again through the main Edge entrance and queue in the village area to collect your swimmer. Teachers will supervise children until their parent or guardian is here to collect them.
- Each swimmer will have an allocated cubicle to use AFTER the lesson. This is your assigned cubicle that you must use each week.
- To help with cleaning/disinfecting, please minimise the time you spend in the changing village. Where possible, it is better to leave immediately after your lesson and shower/change once you get home.
- When leaving the village all swimmers must follow the one way system and exit through the side door, directly into the car park.
Staff will be on hand to greet all swimmers on arrival, directing them where they need to go. Other safety measures that are in place around the facility are:
- The amount of children per lesson has been reduced.
- The amount of classes running at the same time has been reduced.
- All touch points and cubicles are sanitised after each swimming lesson.
- Spectating areas have been removed to stop people congregating in this area.
- Pool chlorine levels are being maintained to ensure that the virus cannot be transmitted through the water.
- Swim lesson equipment and teaching surrounds will be cleaned using chlorinated water between lessons.
We are excited to welcome all of our swimmers back and we hope to see all of you very soon!
When will Sports Halls reopen?
We are happy to welcome back all our student clubs for training as of 17 May, plus all our members back for racquet sports, including squash and badminton. Here is what you need to know before coming back to play with us:
- Badminton courts will be available to book once again.
- As this is classed as unorganised sport it will be subject to restrictions, meaning that members must adhere to indoor government rules of six people or two households.
- Please bring your own equipment, we are currently unable to offer any equipment for hire.
- Unfortunately other sports such as basketball and indoor football will remain unavailable until further notice.
I don’t have a membership, can I still use the facilities on a pay as you go basis?
We are currently looking at ways we can safely manage booking for pay as you go members and we will confirm when bookings will be available. This also applies to any 12-for-1o books of swim tickets.
Will Physiotherapy be returning?
Unfortunately at this time, physiotherapy will only be available for sports scholars, performance teams and through Occupational Health.
We hope to return to offering physiotherapy to students and members of the public soon. We will ensure that updates given when this becomes a possibility.