OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE
The University of Leeds Strength and Conditioning (S&C) department is one of the leading providers of applied sport science within the HE sector. An exciting opportunity has arisen for the University of Leeds sport science students to gain applied experience in the field of sport science. The S&C department are looking for enthusiastic and committed interns to help deliver S&C services to University Sport Scholars, Leeds Gryphons sports clubs and athletes.
Interns will be expected to assist with the daily running of the S&C facility as part of an educational experience over the course of the 2018-19 academic year. All applicants must have the desire and capacity to take on the internship in addition to their academic studies.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coaching athletes of varying ability to develop movement skills and motor abilities to improve performance
- Attend coaching workshops as part of the Performance Education Programme (PEP)
- Engage in learning activities set by University Strength & Conditioning coaches
- Attend one to one development meetings with your mentor
- Represent the University & Leeds Sport in a positive manner
- Maintain high standards of cleanliness and safety in the University’s S&C Room
- Maintain open lines of communication with the senior S&C team
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Either hold or be committed to working towards a Level 2 S&C coaching qualification
- The ability to conduct (or willingness to learn) a range of fitness tests including Optojump, Brower Timing Systems and Gym Aware
- The ability to lead by example and be a role model to athletes
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Enthusiasm & energy
- Reliable & Trustworthy
- A passion for sport science or performance sport
- General: Communication, team work, leadership, flexibility, planning & organisation, independent working, time management.
- Specific: Practical ability across all aspects of S&C including training programme design, Weightlifting and plyometrics, speed and agility training and performance coaching.
TRAINING & SUPPORT
We want you to have the very best volunteering experience with us; therefore we take care to ensure you get the training and support you need to carry out your role including:
- An initial induction to the organisation and the role.
- A week-long training course in the Summer Term
- Guidance and access to a bursary towards completing UKSCA accreditation – a globally recognised S&C coaching qualification
- Access to up to £1250 worth of Early Years Career Development grants from UKSCA
- Regular mentoring, observations and feedback from experienced Strength and Conditioning coaches
- Bi-weekly workshops
- Guest speakers
- Access to a wider network, with visits to practitioners working in other locations
Any further training and support needs will be discussed with the Lead S&C Coach, who will be your main point of contact.
REWARD & RECOGNITION
The time and skills that you provide are invaluable and we make every effort to ensure you feel appreciated in your role. Leeds Sport is invested in retaining volunteers and ensuring their volunteering is a supportive, high quality experience working to the common aims of growing University sport and developing students skills. All S&C Interns will be eligible for the following:
- A uniform in the form of a Leeds Sport t-shirt to wear during their sessions
- Access to The Edge facility on an Edge Club Extra membership
- Access to the Leeds Sport Performance Education Programme
- Volunteer of the month awards
- Leeds Leadership certification at 10, 30, 50 and 100 hour intervals
- The LeedsforLife Higher Education Achievement Record (HEAR)
- Potential roles as a Senior or Lead S&C Intern
This unique entry point into the field of applied sports science has given previous interns opportunities including:
- Visits to professional football clubs to shadow applied sport science practitioners
- An Internship position with a Rotherham Titans Rugby Club
- Guest speakers from experts in the disciplines of Powerlifting and Physiotherapy
- Paid S&C work with the UFCA football academy
- Shadowing opportunities with the University of Leeds Head Physiotherapist
You will be expected to commit between 2-4 hours per week including occasional weekend or evening work. This time will be made up of coaching training programmes for LEEDS Gryphons sports clubs & athletes. The specific hours of work are to be decided once successful candidates have been selected and will offer a degree of flexibility. In previous years interns have developed themselves to a level where they have been offered leadership coaching roles with University sports clubs.
- Strength and Conditioning interns are responsible Tim Jarrett, Lead Strength and Conditioning Coach in the Leeds Sport Team.
- We currently have up to 10 Junior Intern roles available for 2018-19.
- Online applications for the 2018-19 academic year are now CLOSED. Applications for the 2019-2020 academic year will open in February 2019.
- Following your online application you may be invited for an interview, informal meeting or group briefing with the Lead Strength and Conditioning Coach.
If you wish to apply for any of our Leeds Sport volunteering positions please complete the form below and a member of our team will be in contact with you.