OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE
The University of Leeds Strength and Conditioning (S&C) department is one of the leading providers of applied sport science within the HE sector. An exciting opportunity is available for aspiring sport science practitioners to gain applied experience in the field of Strength & Conditioning. The S&C department are looking for enthusiastic and committed interns to help deliver S&C services to University Sport Scholars, Leeds Gryphons Clubs and External Clients.
Interns will be expected to assist with the daily running of the S&C facility as part of an educational experience over the course of the 2021-22 academic year. All applicants must have the desire and capacity to take on the internship in addition to their academic studies. Students should not apply if they have doubts over their capacity to manage multiple commitments during the 2021-22 academic year.
There are 2 x Senior intern roles and 5-8 x Junior Intern roles available:
Senior Interns are expected to take on positions as ‘Lead Coaches’ working within the Strength and Conditioning service. The role of a Lead Coach is to plan, deliver and review S&C training programmes for their allocated sports club or team for the entire academic year. Please refer to the roles and responsibilities document here for more detail on what the expectations are of a Lead Coach. As a Senior Intern you will receive a £310 bursary towards an annual membership with the United Kingdom Strength and Conditioning Association (UKSCA) and a weekend workshop.
Junior Interns are expected to take on positions as ‘Assistant Coaches’. The role of an Assistant Coach is to assist in the delivery of the S&C programme throughout the year and learn through observing others coach whilst developing foundational coaching skills. Please refer to the roles and responsibilities of an assistant coach for more detail on what the expectations are.
- General: Communication, teamwork, leadership, flexibility, planning & organisation, independent working, time management.
- Specific: Practical ability across all aspects of S&C including training programme design, Weightlifting and plyometrics, speed and agility training and performance coaching.
- The ability to learn how to operate a range of fitness tests including Optojump, Brower Timing Systems and Gym Aware
TRAINING & SUPPORT
We want you to have the very best volunteering experience with us; therefore we take care to ensure you get the training and support you need to carry out your role including:
- An initial induction to the organisation and the role.
- Mentorship towards completing UKSCA accreditation – a globally recognised S&C coaching qualification.
- If appointed as a Senior Intern, access to a £310 professional development bursary to be used for annual membership to the UKSCA and a 2-day workshop (dependent on role awarded).
- Regular mentoring, observations and feedback from experienced Strength and Conditioning coaches.
- Access to the internship’s Performance Education Programme – a syllabus covering numerous topics relating to coaching performance athletes.
- Access to all events with guest speakers, who in the past have included practitioners from Manchester United FC, Formula 1, Professional Boxing and GB Rowing.
- Dependent on progress, access to a wider network of practitioners working in other locations.
Any further training and support needs will be discussed with the Senior S&C team upon appointment to the internship.
REWARD & RECOGNITION
The time and skills that you provide are invaluable and we make every effort to ensure you feel appreciated in your role. Leeds Sport is invested in retaining volunteers and ensuring their volunteering is a supportive, high-quality experience working to the common aims of growing University sport and developing students skills. All S&C Interns will be eligible for the following:
- A uniform in the form of a Leeds Sport t-shirt to wear during their sessions
- Access to The Edge facility on an Edge Club membership
This unique entry point into the field of applied sport science which has given previous interns opportunities including:
- Visits to professional football clubs, NGB National Training Centres and private sport science providers, to shadow experienced applied sport science practitioners
- Guest speakers from Manchester United FC, Boxing Science and Formula 1’s Team Haas
- Shadowing opportunities with the University of Leeds Head Physiotherapist
You will be expected to commit between 3-5 hours per week including occasional weekend or evening work. For Senior interns this will be 5-10 hours per week. This time will be made up of coaching training programmes for LEEDS Gryphons sports clubs & athletes. The specific hours of work are to be decided once successful candidates have been selected and will offer a degree of flexibility. In previous years interns have developed themselves to a level where they have been offered roles working with TASS and NGB associated athletes training at the University.
- Please note this role is only available for current or prospective Sport Science students at the University of Leeds. Applications will not be accepted from other faculties or institutions.
- Please read more about the roles & responsibilities of Junior & Senior interns before submitting your application.
- Strength and Conditioning interns are responsible to Tim Jarrett & Emily Dingley, the Leeds Sport Strength and Conditioning Team.
- We currently have 2 x Senior Intern roles and 5-8 x Junior Intern roles available for 2021-22. Please make clear which position you are applying for within your application form.
- Online applications for the 2021-22 academic year will open on Monday 22nd March & close on Friday 14th May 2021.
- The structure and delivery of the role will be subject to Covid-19 restrictions during the course of the 2021-22 academic year
- Following your online application successful candidates will be invited for an interview with the Senior Strength and Conditioning Team.
- If applying for a Senior Intern position you may still be offered a role as a Junior Intern if unsuccessful in the first instance.
If you wish to apply for any of our Leeds Sport volunteering positions please complete the form below and a member of our team will be in contact with you.