OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE
Active Row Leeds has the belief that sport has the power to change young people’s lives. Using the sport of indoor rowing as a vehicle, we hope to support young people to become successful, determined and active. Volunteering with us means you will be assigned a secondary school in which you will run a weekly indoor rowing club.
Active Row Leeds wish to find Leeds University Students who are ambassadors for Leeds University, inspiring young people to look to higher education as an option for them to better themselves. You’ll be providing opportunities for young people to develop healthy and active lifestyles and teaching life skills through the medium of indoor rowing.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Dedicate 2-4 hrs per week to your allocated school or club, supported by a school P.E. teacher/LYR Leeds Programme Manager/ qualified club coach.
- Uphold professional standards and good levels of communication with your line manager.
- Take registers and accurately report any relevant data.
- Help support termly ‘in lesson’ taster sessions/enrichment sessions in school or the rowing club.
- Attend free Professional development sessions.
- Liaise with the school to help promote University of Leeds and Higher education within the allocated school or club.
- Support LYR with the Yorkshire Indoor Rowing Championships run in December/July.
- Attend a safeguarding course and accurately report any safeguarding concerns to the schools safeguarding officer and LYR’s safeguarding officer.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Active Row Leeds welcomes students from a multitude of backgrounds and all applications are welcome:
- Students with no rowing experience whatsoever who are interested in sports and fitness, that want to try something completely new and want to be part of an outreach programme that will make a difference.
- Students entering their second or third year, or post-grad study who are interested in becoming coaches, mentors, teachers or leaders.
- Former or current rowers who are interested in developing young people.
REWARD & RECOGNITION
By taking part in our volunteer programme we will support you to develop skills which you can take into the workplace as a coach, mentor, teacher or leader. You will receive:
- An accredited online safeguarding course.
- A fully funded DBS check.
- Regular Professional Development workshops including an initial induction on 29th October 2021.
- Practical experience as a leader, coach, teacher and mentor.
- Practical experience in supporting sports events.
- Active Row Leeds, Gorse Academy and Leeds University Kit.
- Reference upon completion of the role.
This is an external volunteering role and Active Row Leeds volunteers are responsible to Rebecca Clephan, Programme Manager at LYR Leeds. Rebecca can be contacted on email@example.com or 07707867910.
A DBS check will be required for this role and all volunteers will need to attend a programme induction.
Applications are currently closed and will reopen when more placements become available.
Following your online application, you will be invited for an informal meeting with the LYR Programme Manager to discuss the role.