OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE
The RowLeeds Programme aims to raise aspirations and build confidence in young people across Leeds. We are using rowing as a vehicle to get young people active and enjoying sport, whilst delivering key messages to instil resilience and self-belief. Our work is targeted in areas of deprivation, so the work you do will have an impact on those who need it most.
RowLeeds is an opportunity for University of Leeds students to give back to the community. It works to break down the stereotypes of rowing as an elitist sport and is the first ‘Engagement Stage’ on the RowLeeds pathway. We believe that the coaches on the programme play a vital role in promoting aspiration and persistence in a way that is more compelling than in a traditional classroom setting.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare and deliver a minimum of one indoor rowing session per week in a secondary school in Leeds
- Build a fun, friendly and positive atmosphere at your sessions
- Grow your programme to sit within the RowLeeds competition framework
- Support the RowLeeds Indoor Champs which runs once a term
- Record participation details from all sessions delivered
- Maintain open lines of communication with your School Lead and the RowUK Programme Manager
- Attend regular CPD workshops
- Contribute to the development and sustainability of community sport in Leeds
- Represent the University of Leeds Boat Club, RowUK and Leeds Sport in a positive manner
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Pro-activeness and initiative… to build your own programme
- Enthusiasm and passion … to deliver fun and energetic sessions
- Extremely reliable and trustworthy … setting the tone of commitment each week
- Excellent people skills … to communicate across year groups and with PE teachers
- A passion for community social action and developing sport … to make a difference
- Good communication skills … to effectively coach the young people in the club
SKILLS DEVELOPED (LINKED TO LEEDS FOR LIFE)
- Sport-specific coaching skills
- Planning and Organisation
- Time management
- Independent working
TRAINING & SUPPORT
Our volunteer workforce is what makes our programme so great. The energy and enthusiasm they have brings to life the positive work we do. We therefore care about ensuring our volunteers get the training, support and guidance they need throughout their role. This includes:
A bespoke RowUK Coach Education course, providing with everything you will need to:
- Run your own indoor rowing club
- Create an annual programme and write session plans
- Use our admin systems and submit your expenses
- Support water based coaching sessions as appropriate
- Volunteer at the RowLeeds Indoor Champs
- An extensive Safeguarding and Child Protection Course
- A fully funded DBS Check
- First aid training
- Reimbursement of travel costs
- Full reference
- Regular CPD workshops
REWARD & RECOGNITION
We also want to reward the time and effort our volunteers put into the programme:
- RowLeeds Kit
- Access to all training required to complete the role
- Volunteer of the month awards
- Higher Education Achievement Record (HEAR)
You will be able to commit 2-4 hours per week during term time, consisting of a minimum of 1 hour’s delivery, travel to and from sessions and administration time.
You will also be required to attend any training relevant to your role in line with the Leeds Sport minimum deployment guidelines for volunteers.
- RowLeeds volunteers are responsible to Ben Cox, Programme Director at RowUK. Ben can be contacted on email@example.com.
- RowUK are working in partnership with Leeds Sport and the main contact within the Leeds Sport Team will be Suzzi Garnett, Sports Volunteering Officer.
- This role will require a reference & DBS check
- Applications for the 2021-22 academic year will be open from Monday 10th February until Friday 3rd April 2020.
- Following your online application, you will be invited for an informal meeting with the RowUK Programme Director to discuss the role.
If you wish to apply for any of our Leeds Sport volunteering positions please complete the form below and a member of our team will be in contact with you.