OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE
The RowLeeds Indoor Rowing Programme aims to raise aspirations and build confidence in young people across Leeds. We use rowing as a vehicle to get young people active and enjoying sport, whilst delivering key messages to instil resilience and self-belief. Our work is targeted in areas of deprivation, so the work you do will have an impact on those who need it most.
The RowLeeds Indoor Rowing programme is an opportunity for University of Leeds students to give back to the community. It works to break down the stereotypes of rowing as an elite, inaccessible sport and is the first ‘Engagement Stage’ on the RowLeeds pathway. We believe that the coaches on the programme are in the powerful positions of influencers, promoting aspiration and persistence in a way that is more compelling than in a traditional classroom setting.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Prepare and deliver a minimum of one indoor rowing session per week in a secondary school in Leeds during term time
- Build a fun, friendly and positive atmosphere at your sessions
- Grow your programme to sit within the RowLeeds competition framework and commitment reward scheme:
- RowLeeds Indoor Champs run once a term
- Metre Meter scheme rewards those who achieve a certain number of metres on the machine
- Record participation details from all sessions delivered
- Maintain open lines of communication with your School Lead and the RowUK Programme Manager
- Attend monthly CPD workshops
- Contribute to the development and sustainability of community sport in Leeds
- Represent the University of Leeds Boat Club, RowUK and Leeds Sport in a positive manner
Skills & Experience Required:
- Pro-activeness and initiative… to build your own programme
- Enthusiasm and passion … to deliver fun and energetic sessions
- Extremely reliable and trustworthy … setting the tone of commitment each week
- Excellent people skills … to communicate across year groups and with PE teachers
- A passion for community social action and developing sport … to make a difference
- Good communication skills … to effectively coach the young people in the club
Skills Developed (linked to Leeds for Life):
- Sport-specific coaching skills
- Planning and Organisation
- Time management
- Independent working
Training & Support
Our volunteer workforce is what makes our programme so great. The energy and enthusiasm they have brings to life the positive work we do. We therefore care about ensuring our volunteers get the training, support and guidance they need throughout their role. This includes:
- A fully funded British Rowing Level 2 Assistant Coach Course, delivered in Leeds at the Leeds Boathouse in September 2018
- An extensive Safeguarding and Child Protection Course
- A fully funded DBS Check
- First aid training
- Reimbursement of travel costs
- Full reference
- Monthly CPD workshops
Reward & Recognition:
We also want to reward the time and effort our volunteers put into the programme
- RowLeeds Kit and Leeds Sport Leadership Kit
- Access to all training required to complete the role
- Subsidised access to the Leeds Sport coach education programme
- Access to The Edge facility on an Edge Club membership
- Volunteer of the month awards
- Leeds Leadership certification at 10, 30, 50 and 100 hour intervals
You will be able to commit 2-4 hours per week during term time, consisting of a minimum of 1 hour’s delivery, travel to and from sessions and administration time.
You will also be required to attend any training relevant to your role in line with the Leeds Sport minimum deployment guidelines for volunteers.
RowLeeds volunteers are responsible to Lydia Evans, Development Officer at RowUK. Lydia can be contacted on firstname.lastname@example.org
RowUK are working in partnership with Leeds Sport and the main contact within the Leeds Sport Team will be Suzzi Garnett, Sports Volunteering Officer.
- This role may require a reference
- We currently have 12 RowLeeds Indoor Rowing Programme volunteer roles available for 2018-19
- Online applications for the 2018-19 academic year are now CLOSED. Applications for the 2019-2020 academic year will open in February 2019.
- Following your online application, you will be invited for an informal meeting with the RowUK Development Officer to discuss the role
If you wish to apply for any of our Leeds Sport volunteering positions please complete the form below and a member of our team will be in contact with you.