OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE
The University of Leeds is one of the leading providers of sport and physical activity services within higher education and is always looking to get more students involved in sport whilst at university whether this be through participation, leadership or volunteering. An exciting opportunity has arisen for two students to gain applied experience in the field of sport development within our Sports Leadership & Volunteering team during term time. Our Sport Development Assistants will be responsible for helping deliver a variety of sport services to their fellow students as well as in the wider community as part of an educational experience. This is an ideal opportunity for students aspiring to progress in sport development to gain industry experience. It is a fun and challenging role and you will be helping people in Leeds to live more active lives as well as broadening your own horizons and developing new skills.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Deliver a minimum of 2 hours per week during term time as directed by the Leeds Sport team
- Work closely with the Leeds Sport team to provide high quality support on leadership & volunteering projects
- Contribute to the development and sustainability of university sport
- Represent the University & Leeds Sport in a positive manner
- Complete the Leeds Sport employability portfolio 3 times a year
- Maintain open lines of communication with the Leeds Sport team
- Actively cross promote the work of the Leeds Sport team to your fellow students on campus
- Attend development meetings, workshops and CPD’s as appropriate
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- A long term desire to work in the sport development industry and a genuine passion for getting more people involved in sport
- A basic understanding of the work and portfolio of the Leeds Sport team including its leadership and volunteering provision
- Weekly commitment to supporting the Leeds Sport team during term time
- Be willing and able to engage with the programme in its entirety including induction, ongoing training and mentoring meetings
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Enthusiasm & energy
- Good communication skills
- Reliable & Trustworthy
- Flexible & Adaptable
- A passion for physical activity & developing sport
SKILLS DEVELOPED (LINKED TO LEEDS FOR LIFE)
Communication, Team Working, Creative Problem-solving, Commercial Awareness, Flexibility, Planning & Organisation, Time management.
TRAINING & SUPPORT
We want you to have the very best volunteering experience with us; therefore we take care to ensure you get the training and support you need to carry out your role including:
- An initial induction to the organisation and the role
- Regular mentoring and feedback from the Leeds Sport team
Any further training and support needs will be discussed with the Sports Volunteering Officer, who will be your main point of contact.
REWARD & RECOGNITION
The time and skills that you provide are invaluable and we make every effort to ensure you feel appreciated in your role. Leeds Sport is invested in retaining volunteers and ensuring their volunteering is a supportive, high quality experience working to the common aims of growing sports participation and developing students skills. All volunteers will be eligible for the following:
- A uniform in the form of a Leeds Sport leadership t-shirt to wear during their volunteering
- Access to The Edge facility on an Edge Club membership
- Access to all training required to complete the role (largely on the job)
- Volunteer of the month awards
- Higher Education Achievement Record
Ideally you will be able to commit 2 hours per week during term time, supporting projects as directed by the Leeds Sport team. The 2 hours will be flexible and can be completed around your studies. If you are likely to find this commitment difficult, please speak to the Sports Volunteering Officer who will be able to discuss this in more detail.
You will be required to attend any training relevant to your role in line with the Leeds Sport minimum deployment guidelines for volunteers.
- Leeds Sport Development Assistants are responsible to Andy Lockwood, Professional Development Manager & Suzzi Garnett, Sports Volunteering Officer in the Leeds Sport Team
- We currently have 2 Sport Development Assistant roles available for 2020-21
- Online applications for the 2020-21 academic year are currently OPEN and will close on Friday 1st May. Late applications will be at the discretion of the Leeds Sport team and dependent on availability.
- Following your online application you may be invited for an interview, informal meeting or group briefing with the Professional Development Manager & Sports Volunteering Officer to discuss the role
If you wish to apply for any of our Leeds Sport volunteering positions please complete the form below and a member of our team will be in contact with you.