48 staff members from across the university campus took part in our Autumn run relay last month with the ‘Unbe-leaf-ables’ team taking victory in a closely fought contest that went right to the wire.
We are hosting another run relay for staff and this time it’s Halloween themed!
Join our 20-minute fun run relay and discover the network of joggers and runners within the University staff community. You don’t have to be a running expert to take part; all abilities are welcome.
The Halloween Relay rules are simple:
- Each relay team consists of 6 people. We will allocate you to a team which will be mixed ability – you don’t have to run or jog quickly; the emphasis is on the taking part and having fun! We encourage you to create your own themed team names once you are grouped.
- The first person from each team then has 24 hours from 09:00 on Monday 26th October to complete a 20-minute run. They post their run time, distance covered and selfies on the Halloween Run Relay chat in MS Teams to notify their next teammate that they’re up.
- Once a person has finished their stint, the next person has 24 hours in which to complete their run and post the details on Teams, and so on until all team members have taken part.
- The team covering the furthest distance overall “wins” the relay.
There are some bonuses available to help motivate you and get your team to the finish line.
- 0.25km bonus for a selfie with a spooky Halloween relay baton
- 0.25km bonus for a selfie wearing something Halloween themed
- a Yorkshire Runner voucher for the best Halloween themed outfit/costume (as judged by the number of likes/reactions on the photo in the run relay chat)
- 1km bonus for the team that finishes the relay first
Don’t worry, you don’t have to be in the photo if that’s not your thing.
If you’re not yet convinced to take part, have a read of the following quotes from participants of the Autumn Run Relay:
“This is a great challenge. Just what we needed to lighten up week 1 of teaching”
“This is genuinely my biggest achievement of lockdown” (Quote from a participant in the winning team!)
“I’ve really enjoyed this relay. It’s been just the motivation I needed to get back into my running”
“Thank you for organising this relay. It’s been the highlight of my week”
“It’s been a fantastic chance to virtually meet colleagues across campus and it was such a close end result!”
At a time of year when we would usually be meeting lots of new people, this is a great chance to virtually “meet” people with a shared interest.
Joining the run relay is easy – please fill in this short form by 5pm on Wednesday 21st October. You will then be added to the Halloween Run Relay Teams group.
If you’ve got any further questions, get in touch! We’d love to hear from you: email@example.com.
For those staff members on campus, we’re excited to announce that the Get Out, Get Active run club is back! The first session will take place on Thursday 22nd October at 12:05pm. Please note that you must sign up in advance, you’re unable to just turn up on the day. Read more information and sign up here.