OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE
The Leeds Sport Social Netball League is one of the largest in the UK with 32 teams competing each week. Umpires are responsible for officiating 2 hours per week during term time and the role is vital in supporting the success and sustainability of this thriving league. This role is ideal for students who wish to gain more experience as a netball umpire as well as support their fellow netballers. It is a fun and challenging role and you will be helping your fellow students to enjoy sport whilst at university as well as developing your own skills.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Deliver a minimum of 2 hours umpiring per week in the Leeds Sport Social Netball League
- Contribute to the development and sustainability of social netball at the university
- Represent the University & Leeds Sport in a positive manner
- Complete the Netball Umpire employability portfolio 3 times a year
- Provide regular feedback and good news stories from your sessions
- Maintain open lines of communication with the Leeds Sport team
- Attend development meetings, coaching workshops and CPD’s as appropriate
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Prior experience of playing/ umpiring in netball
- A sound understanding of the rules of netball and how to apply them in a game situation
- Weekly commitment to the delivery of matches and related administration during term time
- Be willing and able to engage with the programme in its entirety including induction, ongoing training and mentoring meetings
- Enthusiasm & energy
- Good communication skills
- Reliable & Trustworthy
- A passion for helping more people enjoy competitive netball
SKILLS DEVELOPED (LINKED TO LEEDS FOR LIFE)
Communication, Team Working, Leadership, Flexibility, Planning & Organisation, Independent working, Time management.
TRAINING & SUPPORT
We want you to have the very best volunteering experience with us; therefore we take care to ensure you get the training and support you need to carry out your role including:
- An initial induction to the organisation and the role
- Access to funding for England Netball umpiring qualifications (up to £50 per umpire)
- Regular mentoring, observations and feedback with the Leeds Sport team
Any further training and support needs will be discussed with the Social Sport Coordinator, who will be your main point of contact.
REWARD & RECOGNITION
The time and skills that you provide are invaluable and we make every effort to ensure you feel appreciated in your role. Leeds Sport is invested in retaining volunteers and ensuring their volunteering is a supportive, high quality experience working to the common aims of growing university sport and developing students skills. All Netball Umpires will be eligible for the following:
- A uniform in the form of a Leeds Sport Leadership t-shirt to wear during their sessions
- Access to The Edge facility on an Edge Club Extra membership
- Volunteer of the month awards
- Higher Education Achievement Record (HEAR)
Ideally you will be able to commit 2-4 hours per week during term time, consisting of a minimum of 2 hours umpiring, travel to and from matches and administration time. If you are likely to find this commitment difficult, please speak to the Social Sport Coordinator who will be able to discuss this in more detail.
You will be required to attend any training relevant to your role in line with the Leeds Sport minimum deployment guidelines for volunteers.
- Netball Umpires are responsible to Rachel Harrison, Social Sport & Coach Education Coordinator in the Leeds Sport Team
- Applications for the 2019-20 academic year have now CLOSED. Applications for the 2020-21 academic year will be open in February 2020.
- Following your online application you may be invited for an informal meeting or group briefing with the Social Sport Coordinator to discuss the role
If you wish to apply for any of our Leeds Sport volunteering positions please complete the form below and a member of our team will be in contact with you.