LEEDS MARATHON 2024
OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE
Last year saw the launch of the Rob Burrow Leeds Marathon, with thousands of people taking part to support Rob, his family and the wider MND community. We are looking to once again support this fantastic event will be taking over the water station on Hyde Park Corner to show how the University of Leeds supports its local community and this great cause. Volunteers are needed to help give out water to all those running as well as supporting and encouraging the participants along the way! The 2024 event is taking place on Sunday 12th May 2024, and volunteers will need to be available between 7am-12pm.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- To support runners throughout the event we provide drinks stations and at the Rob Burrows Leeds Marathon, we have a total of 8 stations on Drink Station. Eventeers are a welcome sight for many runners as they clock up the miles and will be a welcome respite.
- Drink Station Eventeers are asked to help set up and pack down the drink station ensuring we leave the environment as we found it and clear of any debris.
- Eventeers will be ready for the first runner and the last with that all important drink of water whilst also shouting words of motivation and support.
- Drink Stations usually require a team of around 15 Eventeers so it’s a great opportunity for groups and teams but individuals are also welcome to join in too!
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
No experience is required for this role. We are looking for enthusiastic, reliable volunteers.
Experience in supporting a large scale mass-participation event, communication and teamwork.
TRAINING & SUPPORT
No prior training required. A briefing will sent via email approximately 2 weeks before the event. Eventeers will also receive a briefing from the Drink Station Manager on the day as well as the Leeds Sport Volunteering Officer.
REWARD & RECOGNITION
- All volunteer groups are given a special thanks in our Race Guide which is sent to all entrants.
- The presenter at the start and finish will also shout out all of our volunteer groups throughout the day.
- Opportunity to be part of a brand new event in Leeds and be part of a truly inspiring day
- Support local and national charities including raising vital funds for the MND Centre
This is a one-off event so there is no ongoing commitment! A great way to volunteer if you are short on time. You just need to be available between 7am-12pm on Sunday 12th May 2023.
- You will be outside and on your feet for most of the morning. Ensure you bring lots of layers of clothes, a waterproof and comfortable shoes.
- Also bring yourself some snacks and drinks to keep you going throughout the day.
- Volunteers are welcome to bring their own cheer devices such as cowbells, drums or clappers. Anything to give the participants that extra boost of motivation!
Applications are OPEN now and will CLOSE on Monday 6th May 2024. Once you have submitted your application you will be contacted by the Sport Volunteering Officer to confirm.
If you have any questions please contact L.Havercroft@leeds.ac.uk
If you wish to apply for any of our Leeds Sport volunteering positions please complete the form below and a member of our team will be in contact with you.