OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE
The Get Out Get Active Volunteer Activator role offers a hands on delivery opportunity. You will be assisting in the running of trips for your fellow students to the amazing countryside on our doorstep – welcoming them, answering questions, facilitating the activity and getting everyone involved. It is a fun and challenging role and you will be helping your fellow students to enjoy remote and diverse locations safely as well as developing your own leadership skills.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Commit to volunteer on a minimum of one walking trip per month during term time
- Contribute to the development and sustainability of the Get Out Get Active programme
- Represent the Get Out Get Active programme in a positive manner on trips
- Provide regular feedback from your activities to the volunteer coordinators
- Provide a fun, friendly & welcoming atmosphere at your trips
- Maintain open lines of communication with the Get Out Get Active team
- Attend development meetings and training as appropriate
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Enthusiasm for helping people become more active
- A passion for exploring the countryside on our doorstep
- Motivation and determination to provide high quality experiences for students (particularly international students) who engage in our programme
- Be willing and able to engage with the programme in its entirety including induction, ongoing training and mentoring meetings
- Enthusiasm & energy
- Good communication skills especially with participants whose first language may not be English
- Reliable & Trustworthy
- Excellent people skills and an ability to put newcomers and beginners at ease
- Ability to work as part of a team to deliver a quality experience
SKILLS DEVELOPED (LINKED TO LEEDS FOR LIFE)
Communication, Team Working, Leadership, Flexibility, Planning & Organisation, Independent working, Time management.
TRAINING & SUPPORT
We want you to have the very best volunteering experience with us; therefore we take care to ensure you get the training and support you need to carry out your role including:
- An initial induction to the organisation and the role
- Safeguarding training where required
- First Aid training where required
- Navigation training where required
Any further training and support needs will be discussed with the Get Out Get Active Volunteering Coordinators, who will be your main points of contact.
REWARD & RECOGNITION
The time and skills that you provide are invaluable and we make every effort to ensure you feel appreciated in your role. Leeds Sport is invested in retaining volunteers and ensuring their volunteering is a supportive, high quality experience working to the common aim of growing university physical activity and developing students skills. All Get Out Get Active Activators will be eligible for the following:
- A uniform in the form of a Get Out Get Active t-shirt to wear during your sessions
- Access to all training required to complete the role
- Free places on the Get Out Get Active trips you are volunteering with
- Volunteer of the month awards
- Higher Education Achievement Record (HEAR)
Ideally you will be able to commit at least 10 hours per term, consisting of a minimum of 2 trips per semester. If you are likely to find this commitment difficult, please speak to the Get Out Get Active Volunteering Coordinators who will be able to discuss this in more detail.
You will be required to attend any training relevant to your role in line with the Leeds Sport minimum deployment guidelines for volunteers.
- Get Out Get Active volunteers are responsible to the Tyla Mace, the Volunteer Coordinator in the Get Out Get Active Team
- Online applications for this semester are currently closed as all volunteer positions have been filled. Applications will reopen next academic year. Why not get involved in one of Get Out Get Active’s fantastic walking trips as a participant in the meantime. You can view forthcoming trips here.
- Following your initial application you will be invited for an informal meeting with the Get Out Get Active Volunteering Coordinator to discuss the role.
- For more information on the Get Out Get Active programme visit: leeds.ac.uk/getoutgetactive, Facebook (GOGALeeds) or Instagram (@gogaleeds)
If you wish to apply for any of our Leeds Sport volunteering positions please complete the form below and a member of our team will be in contact with you.