OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE
The Get Out, Get Active programme is a wellbeing programme delivered by students for students. It provides a welcoming, safe and social environment for getting active. There is a specific focus on engaging typically less active students and staff with the aim to promote and foster the health and wellbeing benefits of an active lifestyle. The programme offers weekly sessions including walking, running, climbing, yoga and pilates. At weekends there are trips to places such as the Yorkshire Dales, Lake District and Peak District for walking/hiking. There is also a focus on using physical activity as part of student inductions through our campus discovery, orienteering events. Get Out Get Active volunteers primarily support Activators in the delivery of the walking programme.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support outdoor walking trips (campus, city and the wider countryside) and campus discovery events (commitment to volunteering on one walking trip per month during term time)
- Support the Activators to welcome all participants and put them at ease
- Alert the Activators to any struggling or unwell participants and provide feedback where appropriate
- Tailing a walk to maintain the pace, encourage participants not to fall behind and help ensure no one becomes lost
- Taking photographs & videos on walking trips for use on the Get Out Get Active social media platforms
- Help promote the Get Out Get Active programme through supporting Activators at various meetings and events
- Contribute to the development and sustainability of the Get Out Get Active programme
- Represent the Get Out Get Active programme in a positive manner on trips
- Maintain open lines of communication with the Get Out Get Active team
- Attend development meetings and training as required for the role
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Prior experience as a participant of walking and/or outdoor activities
- A passion for exploring the countryside on our doorstep
- An interest in developing knowledge of the relationship between physical activity and health and wellbeing
- The ability to function within a team outdoors
- Experience of leading and/or supporting others (this may be in another context)
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability and willingness to inform and direct others in a helpful manner
- The ability to relate to a broad participant and customer base, building relationships easily and quickly
- Reliable & Trustworthy
- Motivation and determination to provide high quality experiences for students who engage in our programme
- Be willing and able to engage with the programme in its entirety including induction, ongoing training and meetings
Communication, Team Working, Leadership, Flexibility, Planning & Organisation, Independent working, Time management.
TRAINING & SUPPORT
We want you to have the very best volunteering experience with us; therefore we take care to ensure you get the training and support you need to carry out your role including:
- An initial induction to the organisation and the role
- Navigation and leadership training where required
- Mentoring & support from Activators during the course of all walking trips
Any further training and support needs will be discussed with the Get Out Get Active Volunteering Coordinators, who will be your main points of contact.
REWARD & RECOGNITION
The time and skills that you provide are invaluable and we make every effort to ensure you feel appreciated in your role. Leeds Sport is invested in retaining volunteers and ensuring their volunteering is a supportive, high quality experience working to the common aim of growing university physical activity and developing students’ skills. All Get Out Get Active Activators will be eligible for the following:
- A uniform in the form of a Get Out Get Active t-shirt to wear during your sessions
- Access to all training required to complete the role
- Free places on the Get Out Get Active trips you are volunteering with
- Volunteer of the month awards
- Volunteer socials
- References from the Get Out Get Active staff team
Ideally you will be able to commit to supporting one trip per month during term time (approximately 2-3 trips per semester. The length of the trips will vary depending on their location and vicinity to Leeds. You can read more about the locations of our forthcoming trips here) . If you are likely to find this commitment difficult, please speak to the Get Out Get Active Volunteering Coordinators who will be able to discuss this in more detail.
You will be required to attend any training relevant to your role in line with the Leeds Sport minimum deployment guidelines for volunteers.
- Get Out Get Active volunteers report to the Volunteer Coordinators in the Get Out Get Active Team
- Online applications for the 2022-23 academic year are now OPEN and will close when all current vacancies have been filled
- Click here to view upcoming Get Out Get Active activities for the 2022-23 academic year.
- Following your initial application you will be invited for an informal meeting with one of the Get Out Get Active Volunteering Coordinators to discuss the role.
- For more information about the activities of Get Out Get Active, visit GOGALeeds on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.
If you wish to apply for any of our Leeds Sport volunteering positions please complete the form below and a member of our team will be in contact with you.