We are investing £115k into updating and improving our swimming pool to make it an even better place for you to swim. For us to be able to complete the works, we need to close the swimming pool for just over two weeks between Monday 29 July and Tuesday 13 August.
This is the first time we have had a major pool closure for maintenance works since we opened in May 2010. Some of the works are essential health and safety requirements; replacing equipment that is at the end of its life span, and whilst the pool is closed for these, we will also be taking the opportunity to make further improvements to the wet-side areas of The Edge.
We recognise that closing a facility for any period of time is inconvenient for our members, but we have worked hard with contractors; spending an extra £7k, to bring the closure from an initial four, to just over two weeks, and in addition sought to find alternative solutions for you to swim during the closed period, details of which are below.
The last time you will be able to use the swimming pool will be on Sunday 28 July 9pm (last entry 8:30pm), and the first re-entry to the facility on Wednesday 14 August 6:30am.
Project work to be completed:
- Deep cleaning and re-grouting of the changing rooms and poolside floor.
- The Sauna and Steam Room will undergo refurbishments.
- Installation of new showers outside the Sauna and Steam Room.
- Installation of brand new pool filters. It is recommended that swimming pool filters need to be changed every eight – ten years and this will be the first time this essential work has been carried out at The Edge.
- Replacing broken poolside tiling.
- Replacing the underwater lights.
- Installation of a new colour swimming pool display unit.
- New timing clocks so you can easily record your new personal swim best!
If you wish to swim during the closure period, we have set up an alternative arrangement with Leeds City Council local swimming pools;
- If you are a University of Leeds Staff, Public, Alumni, NHS Trust, Corporate or Non- University of Leeds Student Edge member, simply show your green membership card at any of the below pools to enjoy a free swim.
- If you are a University of Leeds student member, please come along to The Edge reception from week commencing 15th July where you will be issued with a green Edge card. Please take this with you to one of the below swimming pools to enjoy a free swim. Please be aware that your student card will not grant you access.
We recommend that you contact the specific swimming pool you wish to use in advance to check on their timetable, programming and availability.
Available Alternative Swimming Pools
Find out what will happen to your usual lessons if you are a swimming lesson customer.
If you would like any further information, or have any questions about the swimming pool closure please contact us here.