Sticky crispy tofu with a yummy glaze, this recipe is perfect for meat free Monday or any day of the week. It’s really tasty and makes a tofu stir fry so much more interesting!
Kate Petty from the Physical Activity and Wellbeing team shares a healthy savoury recipe for you to try.
Sticky crispy tofu
Prep time: 5 mins Cooking time: 20 mins Quantity: serves 2
For the tofu:
- 1 block of tofu (make sure it’s as dry as possible)
- Salt and pepper
- 30g cornflour
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey/agave syrup
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp cornflour mixed with a splash of hot water to form a paste
- chopped up cashew nuts (optional)
- Cut the tofu into small square chunks and season with salt and pepper
- Put the tofu in a bowl and toss with soy sauce. Then add cornflour and toss again to ensure the tofu is fully covered
- Mix the sauce ingredients together in a separate bowl (except cornflour)
- Heat some coconut oil in a large frying pan. Add tofu pieces and cook for 7-8 mins on a medium heat. Cook until the tofu is golden in colour and then flip and cook the other side (I find tongs are the easiest tool to use for this)
- Once golden and crispy all over, remove the tofu from the pan. Turn down the heat to low and add your sauce to the pan. Cook for a few mins and then add your cornflour paste, stir and cook again for a few mins until the sauce has thickened
- Add your tofu to the pan and coat with the sauce. Add your cashews if using. Once coated fully, remove and serve with whatever you fancy. I can recommend stir fry vegetables and coconut rice for a tasty and nutritious meal!
I hope you like this recipe!