OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE
The AJ Bell World Triathlon Championship Series returns to Leeds for the sixth time on 11th & 12th June 2022. The event takes place in beautiful Roundhay Park and sees thousands of competitors from amateurs to elites swim, bike and run across a number of events and distances. Volunteer Tri-makers help the event to run smoothly and enhance the experience of the athletes. You can read more about the event here.
The University of Leeds are assembling a team of student & staff volunteers for the 2022 event to take on the role of anti-doping chaperones for elite level athletes at the 2022 event. This involves observing and chaperoning athletes to ensure anti-doping procedures are followed. Volunteering at a major event is fun and rewarding and you’ll have the opportunity to volunteer alongside fellow members of the University of Leeds community. The team’s volunteering shift will take place from 12.30-7pm on Saturday 11th June but there are also a variety of roles available on the afternoon of Sunday 12th June, either as an alternative or additional shift.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Commit to volunteer at a minimum of one shift during the course of the 2022 event (6-7 hours from 12.30-7pm on Saturday 11th and/ or Sunday 12th June) as an Anti-doping chaperone
- Support elite athletes and the World Triathlon Team by acting as an Anti-doping chaperone as directed by WTS staff and Team Leaders
- If you are unavailable on Saturday 11thJune, or would like to volunteer on both days there are a range of different roles available on the afternoon of Sunday 12th June – roles for the 12th will be assigned on the day. You can read more about some of the other roles available at the event here.
- Represent the University & Leeds Sport in a positive manner
- Attend all training required for the role
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
You do not need any previous experience of triathlon or major events volunteering, just energy and enthusiasm! Most of the volunteering roles are simple and do not require any specialist skills or knowledge. Full training for the role will be provided and volunteers will never be asked to do anything outside of their level of experience or comfort zone. Volunteering at the event should be fun so relax and enjoy yourself!
Communication, Team working, Leadership, Flexibility, Independent working, Event management
TRAINING & SUPPORT
There will be some online training to complete in advance of the event in your own time. You’ll then also receive on-the-job training when you start your shift to ensure you know what you’re doing and answer any questions you might have. Each team also has a Team Leader to support them throughout the event and they will be your point of contact on the day. A University of Leeds Sport staff member will also be in attendance on the day to support staff and students.
REWARD & RECOGNITION
Tri-makers are an important part of the success of the event and British Triathlon take care to ensure you get all the training & support you need to perform your role including:
- All training required for the role
- A Tri-maker t-shirt to wear at the event and afterwards!
- Food & drinks on shifts
- The University of Leeds will also pay travel expenses for students and staff volunteering at the event (car/ public transport only)
Ideally you will be able to commit to the following shift:
- Saturday 11th June – 12.30-7pm
If you are unavailable on Saturday 11th June, there are a range of different roles available on the afternoon of Sunday 12th June which you can also sign up for below. You are also welcome to volunteer on both days of the event. All shifts will take place in or around Roundhay Park, Leeds, LS8 2HH. You will also be required to attend any mandatory training for your role
Applications for the 2022 event have now closed – we hope to out together another team at the 2023 event and applications will open in spring 2023. Please fill out the form below and our team will contact you directly when applications open. Any questions about volunteering at the event can be directed to Suzzi Garnett, Sports Volunteering Officer on email@example.com.