OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE
The Social Sport Activator role is a hands on recreational coaching role. You will be running fun, non-competitive weekly sessions for your fellow students in your chosen sport – welcoming them, answering questions, facilitating games and getting everyone involved. We currently have activator roles available in Netball, Dodgeball, Basketball, Badminton, Football, Futsal and Mixed Lacrosse and sessions are generally one hour per week during term time. It is a fun and challenging role and you will be helping your fellow students to enjoy social sport whilst at university as well as developing your own skills.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Deliver a minimum of one social sport session per week in your chosen sport during term time (days & times for each respective sport can be found below)
- Contribute to the development and sustainability of social sport at the university
- Represent the University & Leeds Sport in a positive manner
- Record participation details from all sessions delivered on our online system
- Provide regular feedback and good news stories from your sessions
- Provide a fun, friendly & welcoming atmosphere at your sessions
- Maintain open lines of communication with the Leeds Sport team
- Cross promote other playing and volunteering opportunities on campus to participants
- Attend development meetings, training and CPD’s as appropriate
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Either hold or be committed to working towards a sports coaching qualification, or have relevant equivalent coaching experience
- Prior experience of playing university sport at a recreational or performance level
- An understanding of how to deliver an informal sports session
- Weekly commitment to the delivery of sessions and related administration during term time
- Be willing and able to engage with the programme in its entirety including induction, ongoing training and mentoring meetings
- Enthusiasm & energy
- Good communication skills
- Reliable & Trustworthy
- Excellent people skills and an ability to put newcomers and beginners at ease
- A passion for coaching and developing sport
SKILLS DEVELOPED (LINKED TO LEEDS FOR LIFE)
Communication, Team Working, Leadership, Flexibility, Planning & Organisation, Independent working, Time management.
TRAINING & SUPPORT
We want you to have the very best volunteering experience with us; therefore we take care to ensure you get the training and support you need to carry out your role including:
- An initial induction to the organisation and the role
- A social sport activator training session ahead of your deployment
- Ongoing mentoring and support from the Leeds Sport team
Any further training and support needs will be discussed with the Social Sport Coordinator, who will be your main point of contact.
REWARD & RECOGNITION
The time and skills that you provide are invaluable and we make every effort to ensure you feel appreciated in your role. Leeds Sport is invested in retaining volunteers and ensuring their volunteering is a supportive, high quality experience working to the common aims of growing university sport and developing students skills. All Social Sport Activators will be eligible for the following:
- A uniform in the form of a Leeds Sport Leadership t-shirt to wear during their sessions
- Access to all training required to complete the role
- Volunteer of the month awards
- Higher Education Achievement Record (HEAR)
Ideally you will be able to commit 1-2 hours per week during term time, consisting of a minimum of one hours coaching, travel to and from your session and administration time. You will need to be available on a weekly basis at the times listed below during term time to deliver the sessions. If you are likely to find this commitment difficult, please speak to the Social Sport Coordinator who will be able to discuss this in more detail.
You will be required to attend any training relevant to your role in line with the Leeds Sport minimum deployment guidelines for volunteers.
- Social Sport Activators are responsible to Rachel Harrison, Social Sport Coordinator in the Leeds Sport Team
- We currently have 2 Social Sport Activator roles available in each sport for the 2019-20 academic year. The 2 netball positions have already been filled.
- Online applications for the 2019-20 academic year will be accepted until Friday 27th September. Late applications will be at the discretion of the Leeds Sport team and dependent on role availability.
- Following your online application you may be invited for an informal meeting or group briefing with the Social Sport Coordinator to discuss the role
Social Sport sessions run on the following days and times:
- Dodgeball – Monday 4-5pm, Cromer Terrace Gym
- Basketball – Tuesday 4-5pm, The Edge Hall 1B
- Badminton – Wednesday 10-12pm, The Edge Hall 1A
- Netball – Thursday 4-5pm, The Edge Hall 1A
- Women’s Football (female players only but male volunteers are welcome to apply) – Friday 12-1pm, The Edge 3G pitch
- Futsal – Friday 8.30-10.30pm, The Edge Hall 2 (first hour female, second hour male)
- Mixed Lacrosse – Saturday 11.30-12.30pm, The Edge 3G pitch
If you wish to apply for any of our Leeds Sport volunteering positions please complete the form below and a member of our team will be in contact with you.