OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE
The Social Sport Activator role is a hands on recreational coaching role. You will be running fun, non-competitive weekly netball sessions for your fellow students – welcoming them, answering questions, facilitating games and getting everyone involved. The sessions take place on a Monday evening from 4-5pm at the Edge. It is a fun and challenging role and you will be helping your fellow students to enjoy netball whilst at university as well as developing your own skills.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Deliver a minimum of one social netball session per week during term time (Monday 4-5pm at the Edge)
- Contribute to the development and sustainability of social netball at the university
- Represent the University & Leeds Sport in a positive manner
- Record participation details from all sessions delivered on our online system
- Provide regular feedback and good news stories from your sessions
- Provide a fun, friendly & welcoming atmosphere at your sessions
- Maintain open lines of communication with the Leeds Sport team
- Cross promote other playing and volunteering opportunities on campus to participants
- Attend development meetings, workshops and CPD’s as appropriate
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Either hold or be committed to working towards a sports coaching qualification, or have relevant equivalent coaching experience
- Prior experience of playing university sport at a recreational or performance level
- An understanding of how to deliver an informal sports session
- Weekly commitment to the delivery of sessions and related administration during term time
- Be willing and able to engage with the programme in its entirety including induction, ongoing training and mentoring meetings
- Enthusiasm & energy
- Good communication skills
- Reliable & Trustworthy
- Excellent people skills and an ability to put newcomers and beginners at ease
- A passion for coaching and developing sport
SKILLS DEVELOPED (LINKED TO LEEDS FOR LIFE)
Communication, Team Working, Leadership, Flexibility, Planning & Organisation, Independent working, Time management.
TRAINING & SUPPORT
We want you to have the very best volunteering experience with us; therefore we take care to ensure you get the training and support you need to carry out your role including:
- An initial induction to the organisation and the role
- GoLead Award (Sports Leaders UK) where required
- Ongoing mentoring and support from the Leeds Sport team
Any further training and support needs will be discussed with the Sports Volunteering Officer, who will be your main point of contact.
REWARD & RECOGNITION
The time and skills that you provide are invaluable and we make every effort to ensure you feel appreciated in your role. Leeds Sport is invested in retaining volunteers and ensuring their volunteering is a supportive, high quality experience working to the common aims of growing university sport and developing students skills. All Social Sport Activators will be eligible for the following:
- A uniform in the form of a Leeds Sport Leadership t-shirt to wear during their sessions
- Access to The Edge facility on an Edge Club membership
- Access to all training required to complete the role
- Volunteer of the month awards
- Higher Education Achievement Record (HEAR)
Ideally you will be able to commit 1-2 hours per week during term time, consisting of a minimum of one hours coaching, travel to and from matches and administration time. You will need to be available from 4-5pm every Monday during term time to deliver the sessions. If you are likely to find this commitment difficult, please speak to the Sports Volunteering Officer who will be able to discuss this in more detail.
You will be required to attend any training relevant to your role in line with the Leeds Sport minimum deployment guidelines for volunteers.
- Social Sport Activators are responsible to Suzzi Garnett, Sports Volunteering Officer in the Leeds Sport Team
- These roles are elected by the netball committee. To apply for the role you must nominate yourself at the Netball AGM.
- The 2 positions for the 2019-20 academic year have now been filled.
- Following your online application you may be invited for an informal meeting or group briefing with the Sports Volunteering Officer to discuss the role
If you wish to apply for any of our Leeds Sport volunteering positions please complete the form below and a member of our team will be in contact with you.