OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE
Mini Mermaids participants train for a local 5k challenge through a structured programme which is delivered by female coaches in local primary schools and communities. Mini Mermaids aims to teach girls the value of exercise and physical activity regardless of their size, shape or ability! Each girl will be encouraged to find their own pace and learn about how physical activity can benefit them both physically and mentally before completing a 5k challenge, usually at a local parkrun!
Programmes take place either once a week for a period of 8 weeks, or twice a week for a period of 6 weeks in various primary schools in Leeds. Volunteering at Mini Mermaids is fun & rewarding and you’ll be helping children in Leeds to lead more active and fulfilling lives.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Commit to facilitate, organise and implement a 6-8 week Mini Mermaid programme in a local primary school using the curriculum set out by Mini Mermaids
- Oversee a local 5k challenge to conclude the programme (usually held at a local parkrun)
- Contribute to the development and sustainability of the Mini Mermaids programme
- Represent Mini Mermaids in a positive manner and act as a role model for the participants
- Provide regular feedback from your activities to the Mini Mermaids team
- Provide a fun, supportive and inspiring environment for the participants at your Mini Mermaids session
- Attend development meetings and training as required for your role
- Maintain open lines of communication with the Mini Mermaids team
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- An enthusiasm and passion for helping young people become more active
- Experience of working with children in some capacity is desirable
- Motivation and determination to provide an inspiring and high-quality experience for Mini Mermaids participants
- Be willing and able to engage with the programme in its entirety including induction, ongoing training and the 5k challenge
- Reliable & Trustworthy
- A passion to fulfil the ethos of Mini Mermaid Running Club in raising self-confidence in children and engaging them in physical activity regardless of their fitness, sporting ability or social background
- Excellent people skills and an ability to put newcomers and beginners at ease
- A DBS check and 2 references
Communication, Team Working, Leadership, Flexibility, Planning & Organisation, Independent working, Time Management, Working with children & young people.
TRAINING & SUPPORT
Mini Mermaids are committed to ensuring you get the training and support needed to carry out your role including:
- Delivery of a training video
- Safeguarding Training
- Health & Safety Training
- Regular email & telephone support, site visits and debriefs from the Mini Mermaids team
REWARD & RECOGNITION
The time and skills that you provide are invaluable to Mini Mermaids. All Mini Mermaids volunteers will be eligible for the following:
- A uniform in the form of a Mini Mermaids t-shirt to wear whilst delivering your sessions
- All materials required to deliver the Mini Mermaids curriculum
- Travel expenses (equivalent to day return bus travel) and expenses for any additional materials required to run your sessions
- The feel-good buzz of helping young girls achieve a goal!
Any further training and support needs will be discussed with the Mini Mermaids team, who will be your main point of contact.
Ideally, you will be able to commit to deliver a 6 or 8 week Mini Mermaids course at a local primary school. 6 week blocks are generally delivered twice a week and 8 week blocks are generally delivered once a week. Each course will conclude with a 5k challenge which generally takes place at a local parkrun (9am every Saturday morning). If you are likely to find this commitment difficult then please speak to the Mini Mermaids team.
You will be required to attend any training relevant to your role in line with the Mini Mermaids minimum deployment guidelines for volunteers.
- This is an external role and Mini Mermaids Mentors & Coaches will be responsible to the Mini Mermaids team
- You will require a DBS check and 2 references for this role
- Where possible, coaches are deployed in teams of 2 where possible and a member of teaching staff will be available to support on school sites
For more information or to apply contact Hannah Corne on email@example.com
For more information about Mini Mermaids Running Club visit www.minimermaiduk.com, Facebook (@mmrcuk), Twitter (@minimermaiduk) or Instagram (@minimermaiduk)