Lifestyle & Wellbeing Workshop Volunteer
Overview of the role
The Lifestyle & Wellbeing service at the Edge works alongside the university to deliver programmes which support students’ overall wellbeing. The team regularly deliver workshops to support students to develop skills and strategies in managing their own wellbeing whilst at University. The workshops cover a holistic range of topics such as sleep, nutrition, stress management and physical activity and are delivered by our team of experienced practitioners. Students from all backgrounds and disciplines are invited to engage in the free workshops.
Our Lifestyle & Wellbeing workshop support volunteers will help the team in the development and delivery of the workshops. It can be helpful for the team to consider the perspective of a current student when planning the workshops and you may also be able to bring specialist knowledge from your degree subject as well as help deliver content and activities for your peers. The role would be highly relevant for students studying Nutrition, Food Science, Psychology and Sport Science. The role requires good communication skills, confidence in sharing your opinions and knowledge and a willingness to engage in public speaking. The role is fun and challenging – you’ll meet new people and help others to improve their wellbeing as well as developing your own skills and knowledge.
Duties & responsibilities
- Commit to support the delivery of both planned workshops in semester 1 (outlined below) of the 22-23 academic year
– Introduction to physical activity – Tuesday 25th October, 1-3pm, Room 6 LUU
– Improving your sleep – Tuesday 22nd November, 1-3pm, Room 5 LUU
- Engage with our Lifestyle & Wellbeing team to support the development of the two planned workshops bringing ideas and knowledge from your own experiences
- Deliver parts of the workshop as appropriate with the support of the Lifestyle & Wellbeing team
- Engage with your fellow students at the workshops to help welcome and support them with the tasks presented
- Help support the marketing & promotion of the workshops
- Represent the University & Leeds Sport in a positive manner
- Maintain open lines of communication with the Lifestyle & Wellbeing team
- Attend workshops, training and meetings as appropriate
Skills & experience required
- Ability to contribute to workshops based on the themes described
- Commitment to the preparation and delivery of both workshops on the specific dates described
- Be willing and able to engage with the programme in its entirety including induction, ongoing training and meetings
- Good communication skills, enthusiasm & confidence in public speaking
- Flexibility & Adaptability
- An understanding of a range of wellbeing themes and the importance of wellbeing in maintaining a healthy lifestyle
- Responsible awareness of and respect for other perspectives and sensitivities
- A passion for helping and supporting others
Communication, Team Working, Public speaking, Planning & Organisation, Critical Thinking, Sport/Physical Activity/ Wellbeing knowledge, Time Management
Training & support
We want you to have the very best volunteering experience with us; therefore we take care to ensure you get the training and support you need to carry out your role including:
- An initial induction to the organisation and the role
- Ongoing meetings & support from our team of professional practitioners
- Training to develop specific skills as required
Any further training and support needs will be discussed with the Exercise Referral Instructor, who will be your main point of contact.
Reward & recognition
The time and skills that you provide are invaluable and we make every effort to ensure you feel appreciated in your role. Leeds Sport is invested in retaining volunteers and ensuring their volunteering is a supportive, high quality experience working to the common aims of growing university sport and developing students skills. All Workshop Support volunteers will be eligible for the following:
- A uniform in the form of a Leeds Sport leadership t-shirt to wear during the course of your volunteering
- Access to all training required to complete the role
- Volunteer of the month awards
- References from our staff team
Ideally you will be able to commit to both of the workshops planned (specific dates below, 2 hours per workshop) for semester 1 as well as the planning and preparation of resources and activities with our lifestyle and wellbeing team (approx. 2-4 hours planning & preparation time). If you are likely to find this commitment difficult, please speak to the Exercise Referral Instructor who will be able to discuss this in more detail.
- Workshop 1 – Introduction to physical activity – Tuesday 25th October, 1-3pm
- Workshop 2 – Improving your sleep – Tuesday 22nd November, 1-3pm
You will be required to attend any training relevant to your role in line with the Leeds Sport minimum deployment guidelines for volunteers.
- Workshop Support volunteers are responsible to Frances Andralojc & Lucy Alderman in the Lifestyle & Wellbeing team
- Workshop Support volunteers may have the opportunity to continue the role in semester 2 if appropriate
- Applications for the 2022-23 academic year have now CLOSED. Applications for the 2023-24 academic year will open in September 2023.
- Following your online application you may be invited for an informal interview with the Exercise Referral Instructor to discuss the role
If you wish to apply for any of our Leeds Sport volunteering positions please complete the form below and a member of our team will be in contact with you.