OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE
The Lifestyle & Wellbeing service at the Edge works alongside Student Support to support students’ overall wellbeing. The Wellbeing Support volunteer role is a supportive role that involves assisting your fellow students in various activities at the Edge and across campus. This might involve supporting them in the gym or attending a fitness class as a buddy! The role requires flexibility, good people skills and the confidence to help support your fellow students to become more active. The role is fun and challenging – you’ll meet new people and help others to improve their wellbeing as well as developing your own skills. We also run regular wellbeing events at the Edge to support our wider university membership which you may be invited to get involved in.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Deliver approximately 2-3 hours of support time per month, including attending classes, gym sessions or other activities with clients on the programme. This will be limited to activities on campus
- Support other lifestyle & wellbeing events and interventions at the Edge as required
- Hold all client information in the strictest confidence
- Represent the University & Leeds Sport in a positive manner
- Keep up to date with the services and activities offered by the Lifestyle & Wellbeing service
- Provide regular feedback from your sessions, maintaining open lines of communication with the Lifestyle & Wellbeing team
- Attend regular development meetings and observations with your volunteer manager
- Liaise directly with the Lifestyle and Wellbeing team about any concerns for clients’ wellbeing, health or safety
- Attend workshops, training and CPD’s as appropriate
- Provide excellent customer service by adhering to the Sport & Physical activity service standards and values
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Ability to engage one to one with individuals, acknowledging and managing preconceptions or prejudice
- Bi-monthly commitment to the delivery of support sessions as required and related administration during term time and an understanding of the importance of meeting these commitments
- Be willing and able to engage with the programme in its entirety including induction, ongoing training and mentoring meetings
- Good communication skills, enthusiasm & energy for the role
- Reliability and trustworthiness
- Flexibility & Adaptability
- An understanding of mental health problems specifically anxiety and depression
- An empathic, patient manner and excellent listening skills
- Responsible awareness of and respect for other perspectives and sensitivities
- A passion for helping and supporting others
- Responsiveness to the needs of customers in order to provide help and advice on appropriate health and wellbeing services
SKILLS DEVELOPED (LINKED TO LEEDS FOR LIFE)
Communication, Team Working, Flexibility, Sport/Physical Activity, Mentoring, Befriending, Time Management, Advice/Guidance
TRAINING & SUPPORT
We want you to have the very best volunteering experience with us; therefore we take care to ensure you get the training and support you need to carry out your role including:
- An initial induction to the organisation and the role
- Mental health awareness training
- Regular mentoring, observations and feedback with the Lifestyle & Wellbeing team
Any further training and support needs will be discussed with the Exercise Referral Instructor, who will be your main point of contact.
REWARD & RECOGNITION
The time and skills that you provide are invaluable and we make every effort to ensure you feel appreciated in your role. Leeds Sport is invested in retaining volunteers and ensuring their volunteering is a supportive, high quality experience working to the common aims of growing university sport and developing students skills. All Wellbeing Support volunteers will be eligible for the following:
- Access to The Edge facility on an Edge Club membership (access outside of this time will be subject to the needs of the role)
- Access to all training required to complete the role
- Volunteer of the month awards
- Higher Education Achievement Record (HEAR)
Ideally you will be able to commit to approximately 2-3 support sessions a month consisting of a minimum of one hour one to one support with a client as well travel to and from sessions. You may also be invited to support other one off wellbeing events and initiatives held at the Edge during the course of your deployment. If you are likely to find this commitment difficult, please speak to the Exercise Referral Instructor who will be able to discuss this in more detail.
You will be required to attend any training relevant to your role in line with the Leeds Sport minimum deployment guidelines for volunteers.
- Wellbeing Support volunteers are responsible to Frances Andralojc in the Lifestyle & Wellbeing team
- This role will require a DBS check
- We currently have 3 Wellbeing Support roles available for the 2020-21 academic year
- Online applications for the 2020-21 academic year will be accepted from Monday 10th February until Friday 3rd April 2020. Late applications will be at the discretion of the Leeds Sport team and dependent on availability.
- Following your online application you may be invited for an interview, informal meeting or group briefing with the Exercise Referral Instructor to discuss the role
If you wish to apply for any of our Leeds Sport volunteering positions please complete the form below and a member of our team will be in contact with you.