OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE
The University of Leeds is one of the leading providers of sport and physical activity services within higher education and is always looking to get more students involved in sport whilst at university whether this be through participation, leadership or volunteering. We are looking for two enthusiastic students to join the Leeds Sport Marketing and Communications Team to help create engaging and innovative content. You will be at the heart of University sport, capturing the moments that happen first and showcasing the fantastic achievements of our students. As a media assistant you will write content, take photos and create video for the University website, Leeds Sport social media and Leeds Sport blogs. This opportunity would particularly suit someone interested in pursuing a career in sports journalism, photography, videography, marketing and event management. You will gain insight into the sport sector and work alongside marketing, PR and media professionals. It is a fun and challenging role and you will be helping get the word out about the work of Leeds Sport as well as broadening your own horizons and developing new skills.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Deliver a minimum of 2 hours per week during term time as directed by the Leeds Sport Media team
- Work closely with the Leeds Sport Media team to provide high quality support on selected projects
- Help create and edit engaging content for the Leeds Sport website and social media pages
- Help create and execute innovative campaigns to get more people involved in sport on campus
- Actively engage with students and staff on campus to collect content and quotes
- Support major sports events such as Varsity with live social media content
- Represent the University & Leeds Sport in a positive manner
- Complete the Leeds Sport employability portfolio 3 times a year
- Attend development meetings, coaching workshops and CPD’s as appropriate
- Maintain open lines of communication with the Leeds Sport team
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- A long term desire to work in the sports marketing industry and a genuine passion for getting more people involved in sport
- A basic understanding of the work and portfolio of the Leeds Sport team and the Leeds Sport brand
- Experience using key social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter & Instagram
- Weekly commitment to supporting the Leeds Sport team during term time.
- Be willing and able to engage with the programme in its entirety including induction, ongoing training and mentoring meetings
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Enthusiasm & energy
- Comfortable communicating with a variety of different people
- Reliable & Trustworthy
- A passion for physical activity & developing sport
SKILLS DEVELOPED (LINKED TO LEEDS FOR LIFE)
Communication, Team Working, Creative Problem-solving, Commercial Awareness, Flexibility, Planning & Organisation, Time management.
TRAINING & SUPPORT
We want you to have the very best volunteering experience with us; therefore we take care to ensure you get the training and support you need to carry out your role including:
- An initial induction to the organisation and the role
- Training to develop specific skills such as photography, video and social media workshops as required
- Regular mentoring and feedback from the Leeds Sport Marketing team
Any further training and support needs will be discussed with the Marketing & Communications Executive, who will be your main point of contact.
REWARD & RECOGNITION
The time and skills that you provide are invaluable and we make every effort to ensure you feel appreciated in your role. Leeds Sport is invested in retaining volunteers and ensuring their volunteering is a supportive, high quality experience working to the common aims of growing university sport and developing students skills. All volunteers will be eligible for the following:
- A uniform in the form of a Leeds Sport Leadership t-shirt to wear during volunteering
- Access to The Edge facility on an Edge Club Extra membership
- Access to top events on campus such as Leeds Varsity and the Sports Colours Awards
- Access to all training required to complete the role
- 10% off courses on the Leeds Sport coach education programme
- Volunteer of the month awards
- Semesterly Leeds Sport Leadership certificates
- Higher Education Achievement Record (HEAR)
Ideally you will be able to commit 2 hours per week during term time, supporting projects as directed by the Leeds Sport Marketing team. If you are likely to find this commitment difficult, please speak to the Marketing & Communications Executive who will be able to discuss this in more detail.
You will be required to attend any training relevant to your role in line with the Leeds Sport minimum deployment guidelines for volunteers.
- Leeds Sport Media Assistants are responsible to Tilly Hall, Marketing & Communications Executive
- This role may require a reference
- We currently have 2 Media Assistant roles available for 2018-19
- Online applications for the 2018-19 academic year are now CLOSED. Applications for the 2019-2020 academic year will open in February 2019.
- Following your online application you may be invited for an interview, informal meeting or group briefing with the Marketing & Communications Executive to discuss the role
If you wish to apply for any of our Leeds Sport volunteering positions please complete the form below and a member of our team will be in contact with you.