Whilst we love our fruit and vegetables at Get Out, Get Active we also love cake! This recipe combines the two: delicious moist muffins packed with carrot and orange, topped with a cream cheese frosting.
- 100g light brown sugar
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 50g ground almonds
- 50g sultanas
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp oil
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2tbsp. orange juice
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely grated
- For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 100g butter
- 150g cream cheese
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 100g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together sugar, flour, baking powder, mixed spice, ground almonds and sultanas.
- In a separate bowl mix together the eggs and oil.
- Add the eggs and oil to the dry ingredients with the grated carrot, orange juice and zest. Stir until well mixed.
- Divide into 12 muffin cases in muffin tray, and place in the oven for 20-25mins.
- Check muffins are cooked all the way through using skewer (skewer should come out clean when pressed into muffin).
- Place on a wire rack to cool.
- For the icing, beat the butter until soft, then mix in the vanilla extract, cream cheese and sieved icing sugar.
- Once the muffins are completely cool, spread the cream cheese frosting on top using a large knife or the back of a tablespoon.
- Serve and enjoy!
Pop into an airtight container and consume within 2-3 days.