This warming crumble recipe is a great way to use up old apples and a lovely sweet treat for after dinner. Combine it with warm custard or a dollop of ice cream for extra decadence!
For the topping:
100g plain flour (use wholemeal to increase fibre intake)
150g rolled oats
100g baking spread
2 tsp cinnamon powder
For the filling:
4 medium sized apples
2tbsp honey or syrup (whatever you have in the cupboard!)
- Preheat the oven to 190⁰C/Gas mark 5
- Peel and core the apples, then chop into thumb sized chunks.
- Place apples in a pan with honey/syrup, cinnamon and 2tbsp water, cook over a low heat for 10 mins, until slightly soft. Stir occasionally.
- Mix the flour, oats and cinnamon in a bowl then add the baking spread. Using your fingertips, rub the mixture until it resembles a crumb, then add the sugar to the mix and disperse evenly.
- Pour the fruit mix into an oven proof baking dish and cover with the crumble topping. If you have some oats spare, sprinkle these on for an extra crunch!
- Bake in the oven for around 20mins, or until golden and the apple is soft.
We recommend sharing this with friends and housemates, which means that its highly unlikely you’ll have any leftovers as it’s so delicious! But if you do, pop in an airtight container in the fridge and consume within 48hrs.