This delicious stew is a great way of using up old vegetables and is also super versatile. Team it up with rice, pitta breads, quinoa or even a baked potato for a dinner packed with fibre and at least 1 of your 5 a day!
- 2 courgettes, sliced
- 2 peppers, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- A drizzle of olive oil
- 400g can of chick peas, washed and drained
- 2 x 400g can tinned tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed/chopped
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. honey or syrup
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- Black pepper
- Small bunch of fresh coriander, roughly chopped (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 200⁰C.
- Next, chop up the vegetables into small chunks and place onto a baking tray. Wash and drain the chickpeas and add to the tray.
- Mix the vegetables with the chickpeas and drizzle with olive oil. Add black pepper to season.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30-35mins or until golden brown, turning occasionally.
- Whilst the vegetables are cooking, place the tinned tomatoes, syrup, crushed garlic, cumin and chilli flakes into a pan. Cook on a moderate heat until the mixture starts to boil, then reduce the temperature and leave to simmer for 10-15mins.
- Once the vegetables and chickpeas are cooked, add them to the tomato mixture and sprinkle with some fresh coriander.
- Serve and enjoy on its own or combine it with your choice of carbohydrate for a more filling meal. Rice, quinoa, warm pitta bread or even a baked potato are great accompaniments and increase the fibre content of this meal even more so.
Pop any leftovers you have in the fridge and consume within 48 hours. Alternatively, you can batch cook this recipe and separate into the portions before freezing.