In 2019 we ran our annual survey, Balancing Life, to find out about activity and well-being levels amongst the University population. We use this information to help shape our future plans and initiatives for Sport & Physical activity, so thank you to everyone who took the time to fill it out.
This year’s results coincide with the launch of the University’s new strategic plan for Sport & Physical Activity; Do What Moves You, with our vision to be the best University to be active. The results from Balancing Life specifically help to inform and guide us in regards to one of the strategy’s key aims; to help staff and students improve their health & well-being.
The results were positive, and have given us fantastic new insights to work with and shall help to continually evolve the service we offer;
2019 Key Results:
- 2172 total survey response, a 48% increase on 2018
- 75% of campus active, an increase of 1% since 2018
- 46% of you are doing regular exercise, an increase of 7% since 2018
- Our staff are 10% more active than the general working population
- We scored 22 on the SWEMWBS* meaning our mental wellbeing scores are behind the national average
- 25% of the campus population are fairly active or inactive, down 1% from 26% in 2018
- Our students are 1% less active than the Higher Education average
To read more about the results from the survey, take a look at our Balancing Life page on our website. The SPA Physical Activity and Well-being Team will be delivering a series of workshops over the month with different faculties and services to discuss the Balancing Life results in more detail. If you would like to find out more about these, please get in touch with our Physical Activity and Well-being Manager, Bethany Fadden.
If you are wanting to make a change to your lifestyle and be more active, we have many options to help you get started. During term time, The Edge offers over 220 exercise classes per week, from quick 30 minute HIIT classes that you can fit into the working day, to more gentle yoga and pilates. If that doesn’t excite you, why not join one of our social leagues and play with your mates? Or, if you are looking to get into running, why not join one of Get Out, Get Active’s wellbeing runs or sign up for the latest entry-level Couch to 5K programme, which is open to all staff and students?