GOGA Resolutions Run Relay for staff – w/c 18th January
126 staff members from across the university campus took part in our Reindeer run relay before Christmas making it the largest relay we’ve hosted to date. Staff members committed to the winter themed photo bonuses and we saw Christmas trees, snowmen, many a Christmas jumper and hat and some delicious festive food throughout the week.
Our first run relay of 2021 is here! Join our 20-minute fun run relay and discover the network of joggers and runners within the University staff community. You don’t have to be a running expert to take part; all running abilities are welcome.
The Resolutions Relay rules are simple:
- Each relay team consists of 6 people. We will allocate you to a team which will be mixed ability – you don’t have to run or jog quickly; the emphasis is on the taking part and having fun! We encourage you to create your own themed team names once you are grouped.
- The first person from each team then has 24 hours from 00:00 on Monday 18th January to complete a 20-minute run. They post evidence of their 20 minute run, the distance covered in that time and selfies on the Resolutions Run Relay chat in MS Teams to notify their next teammate that they’re up. You can use a fitness tracker to measure your time and run or apps such as Strava or MapMyRun.
- Once a person has finished their stint, the next person will then complete their run and post the details on Teams, and so on until all team members have taken part.
- The team covering the furthest distance overall “wins” the relay.
There are some bonuses available to help motivate you and get your team to the finish line.
- 0.25km bonus for a selfie with a baton related to a personal goal you’d like to achieve in 2021- it can be as big or as small a goal as you like!
- 0.25km bonus for a selfie with an animal
- 1km bonus for the team that finishes the relay first
Don’t worry, you don’t have to be in the photo if that’s not your thing.
If you’re not yet convinced to take part, have a read of the following quotes from participants of the last Reindeer Run Relay:
“It’s my first time doing a run relay and it’s been a really great way to engage and know that there are other ways to connect with others outside of work whilst still being amongst colleagues. Thank you for all your efforts.”
“I just wanted to say thank you for organising this running challenge. It’s been the highlight of every day this week for me; reading the messages and checking out the piccies. Brilliant idea and probably works better virtually – one of the few events that does!”
At a time of year when we would usually be meeting lots of new people, this is a great chance to virtually “meet” people with a shared interest.
Whilst our run relays of course have a competitive element, we want the focus to be around participation, social connection and wellbeing and for the group to be supportive and encouraging to all.
Joining the run relay is easy – please fill in this short form by 10am on Thursday 14th January. You will then be added to the Resolutions Run Relay Teams chat.
If you’ve got any questions, please get in touch! We’d love to hear from you: firstname.lastname@example.org.