GOGA Daffodil Run Relay for staff – w/c 15th March
120 staff members from across the university community took part in our Love and Pancakes run relay last month. Staff members committed to the love and pancake themed bonuses and we saw many sweet and savoury pancake stacks and items of red clothing throughout the week.
Join our 20-minute fun run relay and discover the network of joggers and runners within the University staff community. You don’t have to be a running expert to take part; all running abilities are welcome.
Whilst our run relays of course have a competitive element, we place emphasis around participation, social connection and wellbeing and inspire the group to be supportive and encouraging to all.
The Daffodil Relay rules are simple:
- Each relay team consists of 6 people. We will allocate you to a team which will be mixed ability – you don’t have to run or jog quickly; the emphasis is on the taking part and having fun! We encourage you to create your own themed team names once you are grouped.
- The first person from each team then has around 24 hours from 00:00 on Monday 15th March to complete a 20-minute run. They post evidence of their 20 minute run, the distance covered in that time and selfies on the Daffodil Run Relay chat in MS Teams to notify their next teammate that they’re up. You can use a fitness tracker to measure your time and run or apps such as Strava or MapMyRun.
- Once a person has finished their stint, the next person will then complete their run and post the details on Teams, and so on until all team members have taken part. The relay finishes at 3pm on Friday 19th March. All runners must have finished and posted their evidence by this time.
- The team covering the furthest distance overall “wins” the relay.
There are some bonuses available to help motivate you and get your team to the finish line.
- 0.25km bonus for a photo of something yellow (something other than daffodils)
- 0.25km bonus for a photo of daffodils
- 1km bonus for the team with the best name (as judged by the organisers)
Don’t worry, you don’t have to be in the photo if that’s not your thing.
If you’re not yet convinced to take part, have a read of the following quotes from participants of the Love & Pancakes Run Relay:
“Thank you, organisers, it was a fantastic relay and it got me moving. It was such a treat to see all the pictures and distances.”
“This is my second run relay with the University. It’s really helping with my healthier lifestyle.”
Hopefully this will give you the motivation to get outside whatever the weather and is a great chance to virtually “meet” people whilst keeping yourself active.
Sign up now!
Joining the run relay is easy – please fill in this short form by 10am on Thursday 11th March. You will then be added to the Daffodil Run Relay chat on Teams in time for the challenge to begin.
If you’ve got any questions, please get in touch! We’d love to hear from you: firstname.lastname@example.org.